• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing Up My S3

My S3 has gotten slower and slower, starting with the last software update. I've wanted to factory reset the phone to see if it helps but I don't want to until I've got a good back up.

With other android phones, I've plugged them into my laptop, browsed the file system via Windows and copied the entire directory structure over. With the S3, however, I can't do so. I can see the folders, but when trying to copy them my PC gives a message that it's trying to calculate the time it will take to copy and Windows Explorer locks up. I have to force close Windows Explorer.

How do I back up my S3?

My S3 has gotten slower and slower, starting with the last software update. I've wanted to factory reset the phone to see if it helps but I don't want to until I've got a good back up.

With other android phones, I've plugged them into my laptop, browsed the file system via Windows and copied the entire directory structure over. With the S3, however, I can't do so. I can see the folders, but when trying to copy them my PC gives a message that it's trying to calculate the time it will take to copy and Windows Explorer locks up. I have to force close Windows Explorer.

How do I back up my S3?

Use kies.

Upvote 0

How do I back up my S3?

Thats how i back mine up. But if you just copy all the same data and put it back after the reset, you will have the same problem. Only keep the data you need. Like pics and music and things like that.

Upvote 0
Thats how i back mine up. But if you just copy all the same data and put it back after the reset, you will have the same problem. Only keep the data you need. Like pics and music and things like that.

I'd love to know how you managed to be able to copy your data in Windows. Mine just locks up every time.

I'm not having better luck with Kies either. After choosing to back up all items, I let the first attempt run for 3 hours and it was stalled on "S Planner" for much of that time. The second time I let it run for almost an hour and it was stalled don "photos". Now it won't connect to my phone to try again.

I guess I'll try MoboRobo, but I'm thinking there's something wrong with my phone that's preventing access for backup.

Upvote 0
I'd love to know how you managed to be able to copy your data in Windows. Mine just locks up every time.

I'm not having better luck with Kies either. After choosing to back up all items, I let the first attempt run for 3 hours and it was stalled on "S Planner" for much of that time. The second time I let it run for almost an hour and it was stalled don "photos". Now it won't connect to my phone to try again.

I guess I'll try MoboRobo, but I'm thinking there's something wrong with my phone that's preventing access for backup.

Do you have mtp turned on? Have you installed the drivers? When you plug it in it should ask if you want to open device to view files.

Upvote 0
Do you have mtp turned on? Have you installed the drivers? When you plug it in it should ask if you want to open device to view files.

What's MTP?

I believe I've installed the drivers, how do I verify that I have?

When I plug it in it does ask, but as I said above:

I can see the folders, but when trying to copy them my PC gives a message that it's trying to calculate the time it will take to copy and Windows Explorer locks up. I have to force close Windows Explorer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones