• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up/ New SD card?

aptmx

Nov 1, 2009
Hello all,

When I purchase a new SD card, what is the easiest way to transfer everything to the new card? Should I use some backup app or just mount the 2 cards on the computer and copy all files from one card to the other? Does it matter? I am also curious how to backup the entire device prior to the 2.0 update coming. It seems like the 2.0 update will require flashing the phone. I assume it will erase everything? I wonder if sprint will provide an easy way to "upgrade" to 2.0 without losing everything on the phone.

Thanks

(Day 3 with my Hero, and everyday i'm more impressed)

I've found the ASTRO app to be very helpful with backups and browsing the sdcards.

As for transferring the data on one sdcard to another, there's no real special way that's required. It's just a flash memory card like any other.
I agree, ASTRO is excellent. I had to do a hard reset on my phone, and restoring was a breeze. All I had to do was re-download ASTRO; it restored the rest from the card in about 2 minutes, rather than trying to remember everything I'd installed (long list), then download one by one.

I also recommend checking the format of your new card prior to copying or transferring any data. Some of them come formatted in straight FAT. Fat32 is far more suitable for high capacity cards.

Upvote 0
ANother way is to connect the phone to your computer via USB. You'll get a notice to mount the SD and once you do it will look like another hard drive. I just used my file manager to copy everything from SD to my hard drive. Once I put the new SD in, I copied everything back.

This is what I did to go from the stock 2gb to a 16gb card, has worked flawless for a week now.

Upvote 0
I agree that the PC is very workable, but backing up to the card gives you the ability and the freedom restore anywhere, anytime, with no need or dependency on a PC or a cable.

Agreed. I suppose I was resonding to only part of his question, which was getting the data from the original SD card to the new one. That process is of no use when trying to backup the device itself. I'll give Astro a try as well. I'm hoping we get 2.0 sooner rather than later, but I can wait a little longer if it means we get a stable release. However, if it's going to take a while I hope there will be an interim maintenance release to address current issues.

Upvote 0
I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I had the dust issue and exchanged my phone for another Hero. I previously downloaded My Backup Pro and backed up everything that I could.

I put the original SD card into the new phone. Now, how do you use that backup when it's not on your new phone?

I know, redownload it from the app store. There's another problem. I've never used gmail and only signed up for it to access the Market. I don't remember my username or password and for whatever reason, it's not recognizing my secondary email address.

Is there anyway to retrieve this info? You can't call google.

Upvote 0
Ok, I got part of the problem fixed. I downloaded the free version of mybackup on my pc, then used HTC Sync to push it to the phone, then did my restore.

Crap, it won't let me restore the data because it's not pro. It only let me restore the applications, which should include mybackup pro, but I can't seem to find it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones