• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up Phone files

Rich98

Feb 22, 2018
Im trying to backup files on my phone's external sdcard to my PC. I have it connected via USB cord. When I view my phone file contents on the sdcard some of the folders are white and say 0 byte content. Yet on my phone all the folders are fine. I don't understand why it's happening. I have some very important folders that I want to backup on my computer but can't because many of them show up as white and corrupted

The first two screenshots are how the folders appear on my phone.

The 3rd pic is how they look on the PC

Any suggestions on how to correct this.

I have a Moto e5 and a Windows 11 laptop.

Screenshot_20221215-155610.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215-155622.png
    Screenshot_20221215-155622.png
    162.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20221215_155337.jpg
    IMG_20221215_155337.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Turkiszz1978
How are you copying your files/folders from your microSD card to your Win PC -- using a file manager app on your Moto E5, or using Windows Explorer on your Win PC?

Instead of transferring files/folder from the card through your phone, have you tried removing the microSD card and connecting it to your Win PC through a card adapter?

Upvote 0
Well looking at those screen shots you posted, what file manager app are you currently using?
I don't know if a different file manager app is actually going to solve your problem because basically what you're trying to do, copying files/folders to your Windows computer just using Windows Explorer, should work out OK. Try reinstalling the Moto Windows driver and see if that makes a difference.
https://motorola-global-portal.cust...can-i-download-the-usb-drivers-for-my-device?
It could be just a matter of your Moto phone isn't mounting properly so reinstalling the driver might help. USB connectivity it such a crap shoot now. (... it's great when it just works, a pain when you have to finagle it).

Otherwise, is the file manager app on your phone Motorola's Moto File Manager?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lenovo.FileBrowser2&hl=en_US&gl=US
It's a good utility for most needs (managing files/folders locally, just on the phone itself) but is a bit weak on external networking support (connecting to other devices and computers over a local network).
The Solid Explorer app is a well-reviewed file manager, and it includes support tor things like FTP and Samba.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1
The MiXplorer Silver app is another good file manager, and also with inherent networking support.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mixplorer.silver&hl=en_US&gl=US
There are other viable manager apps too, these are just two suggestions. But I don't know if the problem with transferring files is going to be solved by using a file manager app on your phone to copy files to your Win PC or if you're better off trying to solve the problem why you're having problems copying files from your phone to your PC.
You might also want to try using a different USB cable. Are you plugging your Moto into something like a USB hub? If so, try connecting to a USB port on your Win PC instead.

Upvote 0
I have two files managers on my phone. The default one and an app called File Manager+. The screenshots are of File Manager+. Does the phone come with usb windows drivers or is that something you have to get special.

I have the phone directly connected to the USB ports on the computer no hub. The cords that I use are from Dollar tree. Do you think the cord is the problem? Do you think a USB cord from Walmart or Amazon would make a difference? If so could you recommend a decent brand?

Upvote 0
What about the micro USB question. If I'm going to be backing up the phone should I use a non Dollar tree cord for that? Could the Dollar tree cord be causing some of this problem?

Avoid those cheap knock-off USB cables, they're made with substandard, surplus-bought components with minimal to no quality control. Or in other words, they're cheap for a reason. Buy a good, brand-name USB cable, they not that much more expensive. A reputable cable will have thicker gauge wiring inside, better insulation (often shielded), and higher quality plug ends. Power transfer is a secondary issue but data transfer is a major aspect, so by just spending a few dollars more you'll have a USB cable that lasts longer and will be able to move data more consistently and reliably.

Upvote 0
Avoid those cheap knock-off USB cables, they're made with substandard, surplus-bought components with minimal to no quality control. Or in other words, they're cheap for a reason. Buy a good, brand-name USB cable, they not that much more expensive. A reputable cable will have thicker gauge wiring inside, better insulation (often shielded), and higher quality plug ends. Power transfer is a secondary issue but data transfer is a major aspect, so by just spending a few dollars more you'll have a USB cable that lasts longer and will be able to move data more consistently and reliably.
I appreciate the time you took to help me with this Backup question. Thank you svim.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones