• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up the native calendar?

My apologies, but I'm a bit confused. The calendar syncs to your GMail account so all you have to do is log into GMail on your PC and your calendar is right there. No sdcard needed.

Or, am I barking up the wrong tree?

FWIW, you can also sync your personal calendar with your Exchange calender and they'll all appear in your GMail account's calendar. Very cool!

Upvote 0
My apologies, but I'm a bit confused. The calendar syncs to your GMail account so all you have to do is log into GMail on your PC and your calendar is right there. No sdcard needed.

Or, am I barking up the wrong tree?

FWIW, you can also sync your personal calendar with your Exchange calender and they'll all appear in your GMail account's calendar. Very cool!

I don't use gmail, although I have random gmail accounts that I've had to create for registration purposes all over the web. I create them and forget them because I don't use gmail. Would it be going to one of those?

If I got a gmail account to access my calendar in the cloud (I assume via a browser) how do I back THAT up to my PC? I'm assuming we're talking an .ics file. I like to back everything up to my PC. (and then back my PC up).

The native People app backs up to the SD card, even though I assume that if Calendar is being auto-synced to gmail then so is the People contact info? I'm not sure I'm happy having so much of my personal information floating around in the cloud. How do I turn that off so stuff stays on my phone and only goes where I want it to go?

Upvote 0
Go to gMail calendar on the PC, to Settings, to Calendar Settings, to Calendars to Export_Calendars.

When you turned on your phone, presumably you logged into a gmail account. On your phone, go to any home screen, press Menu->Settings->Accounts&Sync and look at the Google account, it will list the gMail account with which you are currently synced.

Upvote 0
Go to gMail calendar on the PC, to Settings, to Calendar Settings, to Calendars to Export_Calendars.

OK that worked, and it did, indeed, create an .ics file as I suspected earlier. Now is there a way to do this without involving the Cloud? I'd be really surprised, as a sw engineer, if it doesn't create an .ics file somewhere on the Droid.

Is there a better calendar app that doesn't involve sharing my personal information with the Cloud just to copy it a foot or two away onto my own PC?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones