1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Backing up the whole phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GaryBC, May 4, 2012.

1. GaryBC

GaryBC Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    My phone is about a year old now - around the point where I expect it to start playing up just before dying completely.

In true Boy Scout "Be Prepared" mode, I want to back it up. According to the manual there is an option (Menu>Settings>Privacy>Backup) to set auto back up of some things to the SD card.

Two problems: 1) I don't have that menu option! And 2) it doesn't back everything up.

I'd like to do a complete backup - of everything - onto a PC or stick. But a backup in a way that can be restored - or at least mainly recovered - onto a replacement phone.

How do I do this please?

Cheers,
    Gaz

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    1) Its not there, its hidden because 2) it never worked anyway

Really you should have a play with "Mybackup Pro" for backing up data and apps to transfer to otehr devices / the same device.

3. GaryBC

GaryBC Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    Not wanting to pay I had a look around and found something called Titanium which, apparently, is the dog's!

So I downloaded it, installed it, ran it, watched it fail, uninstalled it. An error relating to something called rooting!

So I plugged the phone into my laptop, mounted it as a drive, and simply copied "Removable Disk(F:)" - in it's entirety - onto a memory stick.

Seempuls! Took a few minutes, but I now have a complete copy of my phone on a memory stick. Don't I?

4. Bradden

Bradden Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    UK
    Simply put.. No

One of the benfits of rooting is the ability to backup you phone. You can use titantium to backup apps and data and under recovery you can do a nandroid backup of everything that isn't on your SD card.

What I understad you have done so far is to copy the contents of your SD card onto your computer. This is far from being a backup sadly.. it's a pain that you have to root first before you can realy backup the important data.

5. GaryBC

GaryBC Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    Has a feeling it probably wasn't!

So what is this "rooting" I keep reading? Sounds a bit (well, actually it sounds a lot) geeky to me!

6. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    If you want a backup doing properly, you'll be wanting to pay. It's as simple as that really. If you're not willing to pay, theres nothing good.

Tags: