• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up the whole phone.

GaryBC

Dec 22, 2011
My phone is about a year old now - around the point where I expect it to start playing up just before dying completely.

In true Boy Scout "Be Prepared" mode, I want to back it up. According to the manual there is an option (Menu>Settings>Privacy>Backup) to set auto back up of some things to the SD card.

Two problems: 1) I don't have that menu option! And 2) it doesn't back everything up.

I'd like to do a complete backup - of everything - onto a PC or stick. But a backup in a way that can be restored - or at least mainly recovered - onto a replacement phone.

How do I do this please?

Cheers,
Gaz

Not wanting to pay I had a look around and found something called Titanium which, apparently, is the dog's!

So I downloaded it, installed it, ran it, watched it fail, uninstalled it. An error relating to something called rooting!

So I plugged the phone into my laptop, mounted it as a drive, and simply copied "Removable Disk(F:)" - in it's entirety - onto a memory stick.

Seempuls! Took a few minutes, but I now have a complete copy of my phone on a memory stick. Don't I?

Upvote 0
Simply put.. No

One of the benfits of rooting is the ability to backup you phone. You can use titantium to backup apps and data and under recovery you can do a nandroid backup of everything that isn't on your SD card.

What I understad you have done so far is to copy the contents of your SD card onto your computer. This is far from being a backup sadly.. it's a pain that you have to root first before you can realy backup the important data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones