1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Backing Up with no SD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by UniqueProblem, Sep 9, 2011.

1. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Unfortunately I live in Cyprus and to find a 32gb microSD card here is impossible task so I will ask friends from overseas to send one to me. But while I wait I want to upgrade the firmware on my galaxy I have been reading for 2 days now and I am finally understanding the whole concept although I just keep hearing about new things like (Ninphetamine 2.05 kernel).

But anyway the main concern I have is if someone can point me to the right direction is there anyway I can do an entire backup of my phone as you would if you had a sd card using Titanium Backup straight to my PC? i.e skip the SD card process.

The reason I am so eager to do this is because my phone warms up when playing games although I have read everything that can cause it and I understand this I hear the KG5 firmware may help, but before installing it I would like to have the backup available just in case. Plus I want to start playing around with my phone (custom ROM and rooting).

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Motorhomer

Motorhomer Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Male
    Retailer
    Lancashire, England
    Have you downloaded Samsung Kies? If you have SK on your computer you can back up very simply.

The wi-fi version is what seems to give most people a problem but I connect my S2 using a usb cable and it's superb.

I do it this way. Open Samsung Kies on your PC then plug in your S2. Your S2 will tell you that it's connected and you'll see it appear on the Kies' screen.

Choose the Backup/Restore option along the top of the screen and tick the boxes for whatever you want to back up (presumably the lot).

The back up files are stored in MY Documents/Samsung and it pays to delete old ones occasionally as you'll end up with a few large files.

Connecting to SK also keeps your firmware updated as it recognises your version and tells you if an update is available.

3. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    UK
  4. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Owner
    Jacksonville, FL
    I also use Kies via USB cable and it works perfectly. Also keeps my data synced with Outlook without a flaw.

Many people hates Kies but it has worked perfectly for me

5. MobilePhoneTip

None

Sep 9, 2011
    Yeah I'd use KIES for backing up personally.

6. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

many people have no problem backing up via kies, but unfortunately, the most important part - restoring - is not that hassle-free, and it often does a poor job of restoring. which makes it pretty pointless..

to answer ur question, to use titanium backup, u need to have a rooted phone. u do not need an sd card to use it, it'll back up to ur phone's usb storage. even if something goes wrong flashing a rom or rooting, this part of ur memory will remain fine, so dont worry. if u really want, u can just copy the 'titanium backup' folder from ur phone to ur PC via USB each time u do a back up :)

to root, follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1103399

super easy, should have u rooted in less than 5min. im afraid there's no way u can install titnaium backup and do a backup before this, so u might wanna try Kies. although i can almost assure u, follow the instructions and nothing will go wrong :)

if uwant to flash a new firmware, without waiting forever for kies to get it, go here
    [ROM + Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KF1/2/3/4/, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/2/3 Download - xda-developers

XXKG5 (OXA Poland) is the newest official, and its great in terms of battery life, and u wont find any heating either. go for it. after this, u will lose root, so u will have to root again, via the first link i posted.

follow the instructions and u shouldnt lose any data. good luck!

UniqueProblem likes this.
  7. UniqueProblem

UniqueProblem Newbie
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    @Heshanj Thanks for your advice I already took the dive and upgraded to KG5 not sure if I have noticed any difference because I did have the phone for only a week before deciding to upgrade to KG5 the main reason was because of battery and heat.

The reason I am considering to root my phone is so that I can freeze applications I have a number of stock applications running which I don't need like wifi sharing, social hub, maps... I want to be able to run them when I want to use them to save battery life.

Battery life seems to be very good if I only use it to make phone calls and SMS etc..

But when I play HD games like from Gameloft for about 20 mins the battery drains very quick and gets hot but I assume this is normal as I have read on other threads.

But I must say the WiFi I don't know if it's me noticing it also drains battery quite quick I assume this is because of the phone constantly scanning for wireless networks and having Wifi apps running in the background. Wondering if I can stop the constant scan once I am connected to my wireless network no need for it to continue scanning?

8. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

hmm, wifi shouldnt be scanning once its connected. it only scans if ur signal is weak, i think.. not sure about this, but using wifi in general will defintely eat more battery but it shouldnt be a major drain. freezing unused apps makes a huge difference in battery life, i highly recommend u follow that root link i sent u and root ur phone. u just have to flash the KG5 CF root kernel now.

btw, if ur seeing high usage of Maps on ur battery, u might wanna sign out of latitude, instead of freezing Maps.. i use maps often and i wouldnt wanna freeze it. if u sign out of latitude, u should not see Maps using much battery

go ahead n root, then u'll be able to do the backup that u wanted initially too :D

9. carajp

carajp Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Kies backed up my phone perfectly. I kept regular backups and had about 6 when I had to reset my phone.

Not a single one of those backups would restore when I needed it. Every single version I had failed.

I would say don't trust Kies unless you've tested it in some way and can be quite certain the restore will work.