• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root BACKside IHO ROM Charging Issue

a5pe4

Android Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2011
I installed the ROM today and have slowly been figuring things out. Really learned a lot today haha. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the phone automatically turning on once the charger is plugged in. It's pretty annoying. I turned off the phone and then plugged it in only to see the phone boot up in front of me. Any ideas?

Wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this: I flashed backside a few weeks ago and am overall very pleased with it. However, from day one after rooting, the phone won't charge if I plug OEM USB charger cable directly into pc. (Or it will charge VERY slowly.) Same cable plugged into wall charger works great. It's very frustrating because I spend a lot of time in the car and use the USB cable alone plugged into car stereo as my car charger.

Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this: I flashed backside a few weeks ago and am overall very pleased with it. However, from day one after rooting, the phone won't charge if I plug OEM USB charger cable directly into pc. (Or it will charge VERY slowly.) Same cable plugged into wall charger works great. It's very frustrating because I spend a lot of time in the car and use the USB cable alone plugged into car stereo as my car charger.

Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks

It's likely you aren't plugged into a powered usb port. Not every port on your pc is powered that's why sometimes you may see an error that something needs to be plugged into a different port. While they all may technically have power not all have enough to properly power or charge a device. Usually the front ports are not powered.

Upvote 0
Ben is right. Unpowered USB ports put out around three to five hundred milliamps at 3.3 or 5 volts, but powered ones put out three times the amperage at up to 12 volts.

Uh I'm pretty sure if voltage is a constant and if you had a usb port that put out 12volts it would fry any normal USB device since they're all designed for five volts. If you meant 12 watts that would make more sense. 2-3amps at 5 volts.
The voltage wouldn't be able to change on the fly like that but the amps can. I guess the best way to explain it is you don't draw voltage. You get what you get from the source for voltage as a constant and then you draw amps depending on the power demand usually represented in watts.
[edit]
Linkage
USB = 5v + - 5%=4.75v-5.25v max
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Upvote 0
no, but when you press the power button, it goes to a "stand by" screen, showing just an icon. having the screen on in recovery wont affect your charge time, considering your phone isnt running the android OS in this state, or any other power hungry functions. if you were to have a full charge, and keep your phone on everyday in recovery mode, it would stay on for about a week and a half. (ive tested this, my phone lived for 9 days... in recovery mode) so id say charging your phone in recovery is your best bet at a fast charge.

Upvote 0
it all depends whats being shown on the display, if its just more or less a solid native color such as black, or a small image, it will use less power, but if theres several different images, colors, and other items on display, then it would have to use more power to display the image. also, brightness also plays a part in the display power consumption. the OS and background processes and radios actually takes up the most battery life from my experiences.

Upvote 0
Uh I'm pretty sure if voltage is a constant and if you had a usb port that put out 12volts it would fry any normal USB device since they're all designed for five volts. If you meant 12 watts that would make more sense. 2-3amps at 5 volts.
The voltage wouldn't be able to change on the fly like that but the amps can. I guess the best way to explain it is you don't draw voltage. You get what you get from the source for voltage as a constant and then you draw amps depending on the power demand usually represented in watts.
[edit]
Linkage
USB = 5v + - 5%=4.75v-5.25v max
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Had a very bad second night with the new baby, and my brain was fried. You are correct, and I should have known better, but insomnia didn't prepare me for the kind of lack of sleep I now get to enjoy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones