1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

BACKside IHO ROM Charging Issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by a5pe4, Sep 13, 2011.

1. a5pe4

a5pe4 Android Enthusiast

I installed the ROM today and have slowly been figuring things out. Really learned a lot today haha. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the phone automatically turning on once the charger is plugged in. It's pretty annoying. I turned off the phone and then plugged it in only to see the phone boot up in front of me. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Frozen_Droid

Frozen_Droid Member

It's something everyone has grown accustomed to. I have it too.

a5pe4 likes this.
  3. a5pe4

a5pe4 Android Enthusiast

Dang really? No way to change it? Bummer.

4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

It's the same on all gingerbread ROM's but there working on it. For now just turn off the screen.

a5pe4 likes this.
  5. a5pe4

a5pe4 Android Enthusiast

That reminds me, my screen also doesn't turn off sometimes. Is that an issue when charging? If you leave the screen on it won't turn off while charging?

6. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

There's a setting to keep the screen on all the time when plugged in.

settings>>applications>>development>>Stay awak

Uncheck it. ;)

7. a5pe4

a5pe4 Android Enthusiast

Hmm it is already unchecked =X

8. jblatzheim

jblatzheim Lurker

Wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this: I flashed backside a few weeks ago and am overall very pleased with it. However, from day one after rooting, the phone won't charge if I plug OEM USB charger cable directly into pc. (Or it will charge VERY slowly.) Same cable plugged into wall charger works great. It's very frustrating because I spend a lot of time in the car and use the USB cable alone plugged into car stereo as my car charger.

Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks

9. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar

It's likely you aren't plugged into a powered usb port. Not every port on your pc is powered that's why sometimes you may see an error that something needs to be plugged into a different port. While they all may technically have power not all have enough to properly power or charge a device. Usually the front ports are not powered.

10. scoson

scoson Well-Known Member

But of course you know once you start charging you can quickly press the power button and it will black out the screen, it doesn't have to stay illuminated the whole time, the unit will still be on but at least not lit up (like AndyOpie150 said):)

11. brotherswing

brotherswing Android Expert

Ben is right. Unpowered USB ports put out around three to five hundred milliamps at 3.3 or 5 volts, but powered ones put out three times the amperage.

benslgdroid likes this.
  12. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

When I charge mine from the PC, I always turn everything off (airplane mode) and turn off the screen. This always speeds up charging for my OpV.

13. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

same here. It charges up a lot faster.

14. nitestalkr

nitestalkr Android Enthusiast

turning on airplane mode or booting into recovery will shorten your charging time, so your phone will charge quicker.

15. inaudible101

inaudible101 Newbie

Uh I'm pretty sure if voltage is a constant and if you had a usb port that put out 12volts it would fry any normal USB device since they're all designed for five volts. If you meant 12 watts that would make more sense. 2-3amps at 5 volts.
    The voltage wouldn't be able to change on the fly like that but the amps can. I guess the best way to explain it is you don't draw voltage. You get what you get from the source for voltage as a constant and then you draw amps depending on the power demand usually represented in watts.
    [edit]
    Linkage
    USB = 5v + - 5%=4.75v-5.25v max
    http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

AndyOpie150 and brotherswing like this.
  16. inaudible101

inaudible101 Newbie

Can you turn the screen off in recovery?

17. nitestalkr

no, but when you press the power button, it goes to a "stand by" screen, showing just an icon. having the screen on in recovery wont affect your charge time, considering your phone isnt running the android OS in this state, or any other power hungry functions. if you were to have a full charge, and keep your phone on everyday in recovery mode, it would stay on for about a week and a half. (ive tested this, my phone lived for 9 days... in recovery mode) so id say charging your phone in recovery is your best bet at a fast charge.

18. inaudible101

inaudible101 Newbie

Interesting. I always assumed the LCD backlight was more of a power draw.

19. nitestalkr

it all depends whats being shown on the display, if its just more or less a solid native color such as black, or a small image, it will use less power, but if theres several different images, colors, and other items on display, then it would have to use more power to display the image. also, brightness also plays a part in the display power consumption. the OS and background processes and radios actually takes up the most battery life from my experiences.

20. brotherswing

Had a very bad second night with the new baby, and my brain was fried. You are correct, and I should have known better, but insomnia didn't prepare me for the kind of lack of sleep I now get to enjoy.

21. jblatzheim

jblatzheim Lurker

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure it's not a powered/unpowered USB issue. I'm using all the same ports I used before flashing that charged the phone just fine, and now aren't charging at all. Juice Defender helps marginally. I'll try airplane mode.

22. nitestalkr

Then it might be the USB cable.. I noticed that mine wasn't charging at all via USB or a/c outlet. And discovered that the cable is defective and will "go bad~ after so long.

23. brotherswing

Most people don't realize that usb cables can go bad. It's like that one pair of headphones with only one working speaker.

24. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar

I'm constantly going through them with my car charger. I do get them from the dollar store ;)

25. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

Notice: You can now charge your phone while it is powered off, effective the special 01102012 build of BACKside, and all future builds of IHO. ;)

Big thanks to Tom Marshall for finally finding a fix for this long standing bug!

rooter1 and AndyOpie150 like this.
Tags: