1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Backspace failure

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by e_canuck, Sep 29, 2014.

1. e_canuck

e_canuck Member

My husband's Nexus 5 and now my Nexus 4 are having problems with the backspace key. It suddenly begins repeating blocks of letters or whole words rather than deleting them. Usually while posting on Facebook in Chrome browser but this is where we type the most. (Won't user their terrible app. )

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mistergoof

mistergoof Member

Has the keyboard app you use had an update recently?
    May be worth a uninstalling and then reinstalling the keyboard app.

e_canuck likes this.
  3. e_canuck

e_canuck Member

Thanks very much for the suggestion. We are using the native keyboard for our Google Nexus phones. There's nothing to update as an app.

4. bigt

bigt Android Enthusiast

swiftkey is a very good replacement keyboard :) and it's free

e_canuck likes this.
  5. peterc10

peterc10 Android Enthusiast

Plus one for Swiftkey. Way better than any stock keyboard app.

e_canuck likes this.
  6. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert

I had the same issue on facebook in Chrome. It might be chrome somehow since I have no issues anywhere else.

e_canuck likes this.
  7. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

I was also having this exact same issue last week. Back space would create some random words, or create a double of the word I was trying to type or it would even move my cursor to an area that I wasn't even typing in. Very strange and odd behavior needless to say.
    I was also having and issue with OK Google command not responding correctly.
    Updated them both and haven't had a problem since.

Chrome was just updated on 10/09, so you might want to try and update chrome and see if that remedies the problem for you - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome

e_canuck likes this.
  8. peterc10

peterc10 Android Enthusiast

Those of you with this problem - are you using the stock keyboard app? If not I suggest to changing to another app to see if that solves it. I use Swiftkey, and I have not had this problem at all.

e_canuck likes this.
  9. e_canuck

e_canuck Member

Have both installed Swiftkey and am just updating my apps including Chrome. No actual malfunctions since I installed Swiftkey. Thanks everyone.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews