1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Backup and Restore to new Device (non rooted)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by charliecc, Nov 12, 2012.

1. charliecc

charliecc Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm considering getting a Nexus 4, however I'd like to know if there's a way to do a backup of my GNex (JB) and restore to the new device (a bit like the iPhone). That's the only iPhone feature I envy.

Note, I am not rooted.

Is there a decent app out there that will mean I will get almost everything across in the correct state with minimal effort? i.e. SMSs, call log etc, but most importantly, app data. I don't want to have to do get all 3 stars in all Bad Piggies levels again ;)

I'm quite happy to copy my videos and photos on again, obviously contacts and calendar will sync straight from Google, but I really want to keep my app data. I'm presuming the standard google backup doesn't backup app data.

Advertisement

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    For your SMS and Call log use SMS Backup+

Your app's data, like your saved games, will be lost unless you root and use an app like Titanium Backup

charliecc likes this.
  3. charliecc

charliecc Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    Not a very user friendly solution for the average Joe from Google there. A full restore to a new device would be nice, even if this was just limited to Nexus devices.

4. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I know it doesn't seem optimal, but there is a reason for it. When you restore an app with data it can cause problems, even if you restore it to the same model of phone.

For example, when I restore apps like ESPN Score Center, USAA, etc that send push notifications, the notifications stop working after a restore. The app thinks that they are set up, but they don't work. I think there would be more problems than just notifications when changing phone models.

So there is some complaints about data not transferring, but I think there would be a lot more complaints if data did transfer and then the apps quit working.

5. mhtrang

mhtrang Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    I don't know, I would think there's a way to restore settings to a new phone. I like the fact that your apps repopulate, but it would be nice if everything does. This is the one feature of the iPhone that I would love to have the most. As I'm rooted, it doesn't matter so much, but it's a feature that's being missed for sure.

Tags: