• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backup and restoring

JB in AZ

Android Expert
Oct 27, 2009
Florida
Hi all. I've got the fever! If I go from DC 2.08.1 to Fresh 2.1.1, or any other 2.1 ROM, is there an easy way to back up and restore everything after changing ROMS? It's a pain to get everything all set up again just the way I like it, but I might want to try some other ROMs. I have Titanium Backup, Bookmark Sort & Backup, and My Backup installed.

I took digital photos of my seven screens, re-downloaded everything from the market the first time I went there...but closed the market, and found out the hard way that the rest of my downloads were no longer being displayed. Fortunately, I had used pen and paper when flashing the first custom ROM.

Anyway, many of you change ROM frequesntly...how do you all do the back-up and and restore? Thanks!

I know many people use titanium backup. I personally just keep a nandroid backup of each ROM right before I flash. This way I go back to it afterwards. I have never used titanium backup yet.

Right, the way I understand it is the nandroid backup allows you to go back to the way it was with the ROM that was used when that nandroid was created. So, if I created a nandroid with 2.08.1, and flashed 2.1.1, wouldn't flashing the nandroid take me back to 2.08.1? This is how I understand it, anyway. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Upvote 0
Definitely do a nandroid backup before you play around with any new ROMs, as stated above.

I would like to add that I've been using My Backup Pro and liked it, but didn't like that it didn't do batch installs for apps. Well, guess they updated it because I flashed to Fresh Toast 2.1 yesterday, backed up all my apps + data (a VERY nice feature that saves data attributed to your files like saved games, lists, market link, etc), and when I went to restore them after flashing to 2.1 it asked if I wanted to use the ROOT REQUIRED features of My Backup Pro. When I told it to restore the apps, it did them all at once with one click (after I selected the apps I wanted it to restore).

I checked a couple games and my saved game info (Robo Defense) was still there! SWEET MOSES, WHAT A TREAT!!!

One of the reasons I hadn't wanted to flash was because I didn't want to lose my settings. Well, My Backup Pro will back up everything, including your settings, home screens, call history, etc. It does take a long time for some reason to restore your home screens.

A word of caution if you use this app, don't restore your contacts (those get imported from Google) as it can create duplicates and cause problems (or at least it did for me in the past). Also, be careful with restoring system settings. I did this last night and my red END button wouldn't turn my screen off, it would only turn off after timing out. Turns out it saved a setting in Spare Parts that controls the END button behavior and that feature only works for Android 1.5 Cupcake. Once I figured that out, I was back in business.

The $5 My Backup Pro costs is worth it, IMO. It saved me a TON of time from having to redo all my configurations and installations, which is one reason I had been waiting to flash any new 2.1 ROMS. I wanted to wait to try and do it only once. Now that I know MBP has these special ROOT friendly features, I'll be less wary in the future about trying new ROMs without having to worry about restoring my apps.

Other than that, Enjoy!

Upvote 0
Sorry, ccapaso, I guess I didn't explain myself well. I am looking for an easy way to set up a new ROM with the settings from the old one...screens, apps, data, etc...if this is possible.

I didn't see this post until after I just made my post. My Backup Pro actually does this. It will restore your saved scenes, although it takes a bit of time. The best part is since you're rooted it will restore your apps in one batch, which is very convenient.

Read my last post for more info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones