• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backup (boost)

jreink01

Android Expert
Jul 28, 2011
Saginaw, MI
I am in a dilemma. I had a s2 (rooted and on a custom rom)and had issues with the gps, so I upgraded to a s3. I did a nandroid backup and also tit backup of my important apps. After I did this, we pulled out the sd card and they did a factory reset on the s2. I have since rooted my s3 and installed tit backup, but when I go to restore, it says theres nothing to restore. I also went into es file explorer and the tit backup folder is empty. For whatever reason, I don't have the tit backup. I still have the nandroid backup I made on my s2, although I don't have the s2 phone anymore. The data on some of these apps is very important to me and I am crushed that I lost all that. Does anyone know if there is a way to pull apart the nandroid backup to get at this data from these apps? I only have 2 or 3 of these apps that I really need. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

there are several apps that do that, but most of is just a zip file.

i think its called 4ext recovery app or something...

ok, thanks, I am lost when it comes to doing something like this, never done it before. I will e-mail the 4ext recovery developer and ask him if it is possble to do that with his app. Thanks for the heads up.

Upvote 0
Yes, thats what I am afraid of, and I didn't notice it until after the fact and had installed tit backup on my new phone. By that time, it was too late, factory reset was all done and don't have phone no more :( I just hope and pray there is a way to pull apart the nandroid backup and get the tit backup file I made on the s2 before I got this s3 phone.

Upvote 0
as a past issue, ive always, before a flash or any upgrade, or ANY hint of internal OR external formatting...

i always, copy the ENTIRE contents of INTERNAL and EXTERNAL to a folder on desktop...i also do a backup in recovery and copy THAT over to the desktop...

that way, im safe 100%

Thanks for the response. This is info I now know, but its a little after the fact. Is there anyway I can access the data for a couple apps from a nandroid backup. Like I said, the nandroid bu was done on a s2, I now have a s3. Or maybe there is a way to do this on my pc?? I don't know. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. This is info I now know, but its a little after the fact. Is there anyway I can access the data for a couple apps from a nandroid backup. Like I said, the nandroid bu was done on a s2, I now have a s3. Or maybe there is a way to do this on my pc?? I don't know. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there jreink01, I would suggest these two, they both work very well and are free. You will need to use your PC to use the software

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

Reactions: greg schmeg
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions. Someone else recommended nandroid manager from the play store, I was just checking that out, sounds like I may be able to use that. Have you heard about or know about this app?? Sounds promising.

Yes sir I have and I do have it installed on my phone, it does work very well for backup and restore, never tried to use with recovery tho. Let us know how it works out....:);)

Upvote 0
Yes sir I have and I do have it installed on my phone, it does work very well for backup and restore, never tried to use with recovery tho. Let us know how it works out....:);)

I just shot the developer of this app a e-mail to see if this app would do what I need and if so, how to proceed with doing that, since this is getting a little over my head. I will let you know what his reply his and if and when I get this done successfully.

I am praying that this will work successfully as I have 3 apps that I had almost 2 years of data for.

Upvote 0
This should be pretty easy. If you have the nan backup just move the nan to your computer. W/7 zip open the back up and open data.ext4.tar.a, now inside this .tar file there it should be a data (folder) click on it twice, then you should see lots of folders look for the one that says data and double click it. Now inside this folder you should see lots of folder with app names. This is where all of your data is stored. Grab the folder with the app name you want its data and copy to your computer. Make a flashable .zip and flash via recovery if you have any or if rooted you can manually move the folder. (Ill recommend flashing it)

Note: you need to intall the .apk before you move the folder with data otherwise your data will get overwriten.

Reactions: greg schmeg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones