• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backup Options for Droid X - that have been used

Larryf

Jul 18, 2010
Coming from the iPhone where the entire thing is backed up every time you sync, I'm looking for something similar for my Droid X.

I've spent a lot of time installing and customizing my Droid X and would hate to think I had to start over if something happened to it.

What are the best backup solutions where I can backup everything and then if I lose the phone, restore without the pain of reinstalling and customizing everything again?

Not really. That would be good but if I lost the phone or it got stolen, the SD card would be gone too. I was looking for an online backup or laptop backup if it's available.
I can't swear this would work, but I'm wondering if you mount the SD card after an Astro backup to your PC and manually copy the files over, would it work if you were to get the new phone and place them back in the same spot of the SD card to let Astro install from there again? Logistically it sounds like it would, I just haven't used android before so I can't say it would.

Upvote 0
app brain will backup/restore your apps via over the air download and it has management through the internet.
your gmail account automatically backsup your contacts
the android market also backs up your apps

everything else i know of requires root to access, but after you root, its really easy and thats the best way to "image" your phone.

you make your backups then copy them from your sdcard to a computer and you'll always have them.

i'm guessing the reason you it's not like the iphone where you plug in to itunes and it backs up is due to the fact that Android is much more customizable, and it runs widgets. even with my golauncher backups, when i restore, i have to manually restore my widgets.

as for whole phone through the cloud backups, i just don't think we are there yet

Upvote 0
Well, for non-rooted phones (before I rooted mine), I used Lookout, which backs up your most important stuff to their servers. MyBackup is good, but the best option is to root and then use Droid X Bootstrap Recovery and Titanium Pro, nothing better.

If you're real paranoid, hook up your X to your pc and then copy everything to your pc using Windows Explorer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones