1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Backup Question Before Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LittleRedDot, Dec 24, 2011.

1. LittleRedDot

LittleRedDot Android Enthusiast

So I decided to go with MyBackUp Pro to back up my EVo before rooting, but there is more info on the phone than is available online. I'm about to pull the trigger on their $2/month plan and then it hit me, I have an external hardrive with a terabyte of storage. Can I save the data there instead of paying a service to do it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

You can only backup certain info before you are rooted. Once you are rooted its possible to backup the entire phone and restore everything. You already have my backup pro, backup as much as possible. You are going to loose certain aspects of your setup, its inevitable. Once you are rooted for a little while and start flashing regularly, you'll realize it's really not that big of a deal. :)
    As long as you don't wipe your sd card its really not necessary for an external HD, or the service.

argedion likes this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

The process of rooting itself wont cause you to lose any of your information. All it does is turn the phones security off so that you can gain root access.

Once you are rooted and have a curstom recovery on there you will be able to make nandroid backups, which will create a backup that fully backs up everything on your device.

argedion and ocnbrze like this.
  4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

I will add on to this a little

A Nandroid is a Moment in Time on your phone So basically what it does is it copies the entire state of your phone (or the area's you select) and records that moment. So if you check all boxes except SDCARD you will have essentially a Clone of the phone in the state it was in when you did your Nandroid.

A Backup is different in that you are able to only backup certain items. Most of the stuff you will want to back up include SMS, MMS, Call logs, Contacts, USER Apps, and USER App data. You may wish to backup your SDCARD over to your computer to keep your Pictures, Movies, Music, and documents backup from your card.

ocnbrze, Rxpert83 and slyd like this.
  5. LittleRedDot

LittleRedDot Android Enthusiast

Ok I think I'm starting to get to picture.. I only need to back up the entire phone if I plan on flashing a custom rom, which I'm not. I I can root my evo without fear of losing my data.

Man... This is so much more complicated than a blackberry!

6. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

yes and trust me once you see how easy it is you'll be flashing. I thought the same thing when I started. and that was back in September of this year. So the reality of it is, it has not been very long.

No your mind is just making it more complicated. Its really a simple process just looks intimidating. The hardest part for most is copying the beta key for revolutionary. Just follow directions and ask away.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. mikem0269

mikem0269 Android Expert

What i sugest doing is printing out the steps for rooting that way you have it infront of you and u wont need to be switching screens when doing the rooting. You can even check off each step as you do it so you dont skip anything.

dustwun77, argedion and ocnbrze like this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews