• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Backup Question

From what I understood, ROM Manager is like the nice GUI and booting into recovery (power + X) and making a nandroid is like the ugly terminal method, but both are the same backup..

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

further proof of this is that yesterday I made a nandroid backup (power + X at boot) and yet, there it is in the clockwordmd directory and I did not make it via ROM Manager.

Upvote 0
If you're still on SPRecovery, Danielson, it is the same thing... just a different path to get there. ClockworkMod Recovery is finicky but has more options. In ROM Manager, flash Clockwork Recovery, THEN flash SPRecovery, THEN flash Clockwork Recovery again.

Make sure you can get into Recovery using x+power before adding kernels or doing anything fancy. You'll need that if a kernel or ROM throws you into a bootloop.

You're doing great!:)

Upvote 0
so here is a question then on this topic, my Clockwordmod directory shows I have 3.15G (10) of backup files and nandroid has 577.99 mb (2).. IF in fact they are the same backup method, what is that nandroid directory even holding?

also, I plan to move some of the Clockwordmod files to my computer to save space and delete them off as 3.15g in BU's is a bit much.

Upvote 0
Yeah, i have Clockwork recovery right now, and i thought it seemed kinda glitchy, freezing and things like that. But i found mybackup pro, and that does home screen icons, so problem solved!!! Thanks again guys!!!!

I have a recent thread here about some of the diffs between Titanium and MyBackup, they are pretty similar, but each has some benefits as well. for example, Titanium can "freeze" apps so you can rmove stupid apps like Amazon Mp3 from your app tray.. MBP cannot do that.

Upvote 0
so here is a question then on this topic, my Clockwordmod directory shows I have 3.15G (10) of backup files and nandroid has 577.99 mb (2).. IF in fact they are the same backup method, what is that nandroid directory even holding?

They are NOT the same backup. Apparently Sir Psycho, when he created his recovery, took some "shortcuts" in how it operates... so the backups WORK, but they're not Android standard.

ClockworkMod uses Android standard backup code, and the files are stored in a completely different folder. You can safely delete your Nandroid folder if you're sure you're never going back to SPRecovery and there's nothing in it you would want to keep.

That's what I understand.

Upvote 0
but I made a backup yesterday in nandroid BUT it is in my ClockworkMod directory. I can see if I made a backup in ClockworkMod it would be in ClockworkMod, but why is a nandroid done backup in ClockworkMod?

also, it would seem that nandroid backups - if that is what is in my nandroid folder - are compressed way smaller?

"if you're sure you're never going back to SPRecovery" - frankly, as unstable as ClockworkMod seems to be for many, I think going back to SPRecovery is always a potential, so I will keep it around.

Upvote 0
"if you're sure you're never going back to SPRecovery" - frankly, as unstable as ClockworkMod seems to be for many, I think going back to SPRecovery is always a potential, so I will keep it around.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I just rooted my phone yesterday and am very leery of using clockworkMod. My phone is happy right now with SPRecovery :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones