1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Backup Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by empyreandance, Feb 25, 2010.

1. empyreandance

empyreandance Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Hi everyone - I just had a quick question. I've been playing with a lot of ROMs lately and have noticed a few issues that I think a complete wipe would benefit, but I don't want to lose my text messages. I've used Titanium backup to do a full app backup, but I just wanted to check that the messages would fall under the umbrella of the Message app data? Can anyone tell me exactly what would happen if I did the wipe? Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Mortgage Underwriter
    Rochester, NY
    If Titanium does a backup of the data partition then your text messages should be saved there. Otherwise you can do a nandroid backup of your data partition and restore that later if necessary. I know that definitely holds my messages.

3. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Northwestern PA, USA
    Better question for a more specific backup and restore..

What file inside /data/ contains the messages? Knowing this, you could wipe the phone of other data to start new, but restore your SMS/MMS messages.

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Mortgage Underwriter
    Rochester, NY
    Not sure about that one. If one of the pros here doesn't know, some of the devs over at Alldroid can probably answer that.

5. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    i use titanium for app backups with app data but for android built stuff like stock stuff like contacts homescreen layout i use mybackup including sms messages with that

i had problems when i tried to restore android based stuff with titanium on a clean install

6. empyreandance

empyreandance Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010

wow thank you very much - that did the trick - things are running so much better :) - thanks to all!

7. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    good to hear