1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Backup/recover phone data AND SD-card (need root for full backup of phone apps/data)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by smitty543, Jul 29, 2012.

1. smitty543

smitty543 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Phone NOT rooted. How do I backup apps and data from BOTH the phone AND micro SD-card. Computer is Apple with OS X 10.6.8

Advertisement

2. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Get Mybackup or Titanium Backup from the market (Mybackup is more user friendly. And If you are restoring this stuff on a different phone you will need to buy the pro version).
    Run it to back up everything to the SD card (except contacts and calendars).
    When finished, turn off and remove the SD card. Connect the SD card to your computer and copy the contents over into a folder on your desktop where you won't lose it.

smitty543 likes this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Long story short, you can't backup any application data without being rooted.

The best you can do is backup a list of your apps or apps without data, which isn't all that useful.

You can backup your sd card by plugging the phone into a computer and transferring everything over

marctronixx and smitty543 like this.
  4. dave4

dave4 Newbie
    None

May 16, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I need to hard reset my phone due to not getting texts and calls all the time. This is my 1st android phone (stock) and never done a hard reset before. How to do it exactly? Is there still problem with google wallet? (havent used it yet)
    Do I have to remove the memory card for the reset?

Second question is, which is the best way to back up the apps? I've seen My Backup Pro. Is it a good app to use it for backup?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Dave4

5. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert
    None

Mar 26, 2012
    Male
    Diesel Mechanic- Greyhound Lines
    New Jersey
    Hey, for a factory reset go to settings>storage>factory reset. As far as backing up apps, any paid apps will stay in a list in your Google play account. You will just need to re-install them. Make a list of any unpaid apps. You can go to privacy>backup Gmail account also. Your pictures and such should be stored on your sd card so you may or may not want to format that. Your contacts should also be stored in your Gmail account.

Forgot to mention, if you haven't setup Google wallet then you should be good to go there.. Don't even worry about it. If you have set it up then go into the app>enter pin>settings>reset Google wallet.

6. garbo1966

garbo1966 Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2014
    My Sprint phone htcEVO4G stopped notifying me of phone calls, Emails, texts, etc. I took the phone into a "CORPORATE" Sprint store where they determined my phone was defective due to nothing I did and they would order me a replacement phone without any deductible since it was an "internal" problem.
    I went to pick up my replacement phone. Three emploers were involved...1-new and 2 experienced...in the setting up of my new replacement phone. I questioned why they didn't hook up my old phone to my new phone with their machine as they had done in the past so ALL my CONYACTS, TEXTS, EMAILS, SMS. MMS, PHOTOS, FOLDERS, ETC. would get transferred over to my new replacement phone. They asked me if I had a "Gmail" Account. I informed them I did. They then told me "ALL" that information was backed up to that Gmail account. That once I signed in with my user name & password on my new phone, "EVERYTHING" would transfer over to my new replacement phone. The only thing they said won't immediately transfer over would be my application I downloaded, but it would have a list of all the apps that were on my old phone and I'd have to download them again.
    To date, I have not received ALL my Contacts and have not received any TEXT MESSAGES since JULY 2013. I took my new phone into another Corporate Sprint store who told me that the last "back up" was done in July 2013 (which I don't recall ever doing myself--especially after being shown how to back up and restore SMS messages).

I was told the "ONLY" way I could ever get back ALL MY CONTACTS & SMS, MMS TEXT MRSSAGES was to get my old broken phone back. Well I call Sprint Customer Service and a supervisor said basically the same thing and that he'd try and track down my old non-working phone. When I spoke to the store manager who ordered me the new phone after diagnosing my phones problems, said she had no idea how to "Back Up SMS messages", but had already sent back my phone. ( I gave her the simple instructions on how to back up ).

So my question or issue is "HOW CAN I GET ALL MY CONTACTS & TEXT MESSAGES BACK"? The 2nd store gave me a form which I've used in the past since I'm dealing with legal issues, nut that only provided the phone numbers made over a 90-day period for a phone on my account. They told me to just attach a letter explaining my situation and mail it into Corporate Security at Sprint since they can retrieve TEXT MESSAGES as far back as 18-months for Legal Issues.

I know for a fact the Police can get text messages without having anyones phone...so how is it I have to hope they find or track down my old phone in order to get back my TEXT MESSAGES & CONTACTS FROM JULY 2013 TO DATE??? There must be some other way....right??? That is what I'm asking all of you technical PROs out there for help with.

I've not only had this just happen, but it's happened to me before....that is why I was "so specific" in asking that ALL MY CONTACTS, TEXTS, ETC. be transferred over.

If I don't get that information back, it's going to cost me "thousands" of dollars due to lawsuits I'm involved in along with some other issues.

PLEASE HELP! (Sorry for the long description). Thank You in advance. Garbo1966.

7. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    The police can only get it with a warrant - an order from a court of competent jurisdiction that orders the carrier to produce the information. (Sprint doesn't want a judge to be against them from the start in any case in which they're involved even before the case starts being heard. Or to be in contempt for refusing to obey the orders of a legitimate warrant.)

And you have to hope that you'll be awarded legal fees in your suit against Sprint to recover all that lost time and money.

In the future, remember the axiom - "Any data not backed up to at least 2 different devices is data you don't need." It's trivial to have a backup program or two backing everything up on a schedule.

In the current case all you can do is hope they find your old phone. It was your responsibility to make sure that you got all your backups restored before allowing them to dispose of the phone.

8. garbo1966

garbo1966 Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. It's hard to be told by Customer Service Representatives that ALL your data, information, etc. is "backed up automatically to your established Gmail account"....thinking you are being informed of the latest in Sprint Technology (therefore covering 1 half of that axiom). The BEST was finding out from the CORPORATE STORE MGR. that she wished someone would show her how to back up texts.

I'm hoping that Sprint has some process in place that they would "back up" returns before disposing them of any information.

Thanks again for the information.

9. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, your gmail account doesn't back up text messages like it does with contacts, at least that I know of. You need to manually select backup sms from within the messaging app.

Also, when making a new entry for a contact, be sure it's listed as a contact under your gmail account, and not under "phone".

As far as recovering the old information you'll need the old phone or have the info provided by the legal means you described above.

The only other way is if your phone was rooted and you made nandroid backups. Even then it can be a pain to recover.

garbo1966 likes this.
  10. hi-tech34

hi-tech34 Newbie
    None

Nov 14, 2010
    Try SMS Backup app. once set up to your Gmail account, It automatically back ups all your texts to a new folder in Gmail. it works very well.

garbo1966 likes this.
  11. garbo1966

garbo1966 Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2014
    I want to thank you for taking the time to respond with helpful information. I went into "Play Store" last night and downloaded a "backup" application.

When looking through the various choices of backup apps....one actually stated your Email, Texts, SMS, MMS, etc. will all be "AUTOMATICALLY" backed up to your Google account?!?!?! (Im guessing that's what they must have read and understood the case to be). I'm just hoping somewhere...someone...can send me 4-5 months worth of text messages.

Thanks again and Happy New Year---"after the fact".

Granite1 likes this.
  12. smitty543

smitty543 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Is there a backup app that backs up BOTH SMS AND MMS messages with their pictures/attachments? Thanx!

13. hi-tech34

hi-tech34 Newbie
    None

Nov 14, 2010
    This is the one I use and I have no issues with it.
    SMS Backup +
    Jan Berkel - December 8, 2013

garbo1966 likes this.
  14. garbo1966

garbo1966 Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2014
    On my phone in "Play Store" there's an application called "AVAST" (Mobile Backup & Restore).

They state it backups and restores "videos", "photos", "contacts", etc. etc. etc.

I installed "Super Backup" until Sprint finds my old phone.

Thanks again.