• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backup/Restore issues

phil24_7

Lurker
Feb 21, 2011
My Old HTC Desire was running Android 2.1. I had planned on de-branding it so backed up all my data, and also copied the sim card on to my pc.

All of my contacts were stored on sim I think, and I believed they were also backed up to Google.

That phone died over the weekend so I received a replacement today.

I turned it on, to find it has Android 2.2 and no option to restore from sd card. It should do it automatically but it hasn't.

Is this a problem with the different Android OS?

I also cant recover my contacts. When I signed into my google account (which used my hotmail account) nothing happened, so I added gmail to the current account, so I think my contacts were possibly not backed up there, am I right in thinking this?

Is there any way of recovering all my missing data and contacts?

I don't mind flashing the ROM with 2.1 to get everything working and then re-flashing with 2.2 after if this will work. I plan on flashing this one anyway to get rid of all the Orange crap!

Any help would be greatly appreciated cuz at present I only have 3 numbers on my phone. One of which is Screwfix!

Regards
Phil

That's strange, I received mien back from repair with Orange 2.2 and I had this function.

Go to People
Press Menu
Select Import/Export>Import from SD card.

As for Gmail, you may need to go into your account and select all contacts and then 'add to my contacts'. The phone won't sync unless they're there if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0
I had all my contacts saved to sd card rather than sim or phone so they should still be on there but aren't, I didn't export to SD card.

I think I messed up as I only created a googlemail account using my hotmail account as the sign in, and only upgraded to gmail today. From what I've read today, only the gmail accounts sync your contacts. :(

Upvote 0
So none of your contacts are in the old googlemail account? If they are you can export your contacts to vcard format. Put this file on your sd card and it will be just like you exported from the phone onto sd card. Then you can run the import procedure as described in my post above.

Upvote 0
Hi, It seems to me I had the same problem. I had 2.1 and backup option on. Last weekend I update my Legend to 2.2 and .. no restore option available :( . In sdcard/backup/ I have a lot of data but no tools to restore. All the files are nor recognized by Astro or other file manager. Do you know if it is possible to restore them ? Can I use the "recovery" procedure ? Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones