1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Backup Roms?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pulazki, Mar 30, 2011.

1. pulazki

pulazki Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi, im new to rooting and have only flashed 2 roms, Myn's Warm 2.2 and MIUI.

I just flashed MIUI, and decided to go back to my stock rooted ROM, but i did set up the ROM with all my apps and settings to my liking. So can i just create a nandroid backup of the ROM like i did with the stock ROM and just do a restore of that MIUI backup and go right back to where i left off with all my settings on the ROM?

Advertisement

2. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    So you are trying to go back to a stock ROM but keep the current setup you have in Miui?

Restoring a nand backup will restore you completely to the state your phone was at when you created the backup. So if you were on miui when you made the backup, you will be on miui when you restore the backup. You can save your apps from one ROM to another by using a variety of programs - titanium backup being the most used (I believe). I think you can also save your screen setups if you are using launcher pro. But you cannot restore part of a nandroid backup from one rom to the other in order to save settings and apps (I don't believe). Hopefully I addressed the question you were asking.

3. pulazki

pulazki Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    No, basically what i'm asking is -- can i create a nandroid backup of custom roms just like i do the stock rom, or do i have to flash the zip of a custom rom everytime i want to return to it?

And my other question is, when doing a nandroid restore, do i need to do a full wipe(factory wipe, wipe cache, delvik cache) ?

I flashed MIUI restored a bunch of apps to it with titanium backup, changed some settings to my liking, and then made a nandroid backup of it -- Then i did a nandroid restore back to my rooted stock ROM, so i'm currently running my rooted stock rom

Am i able to do a nandroid restore of the custom rom like this, or do i have to do a full wipe and then flash the zip again just like the first time i flashed the ROM to get MIUI back up again?

Because when you flash a rom ZIP you boot up with a clean empty ROM and then you have to set it all up with your apps and settings, would i be able to flash a bunch of ROMS, restore all my apps and settings to them, and then make nandroid backups of them -- and quickly just do nandroid restore's of the roms and basically boot up ready to go roms? Or is this going to cause me alot of troubles, and i should always flash the zip of a ROM and start fresh everytime i want a different ROM?

4. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    No, you can make a back up, when you restore it will look exactly the way it did at the moment you backed it up as a matter of fact we suggest making back ups often and before flashing anything.

As far as the wipe before a restore it partially depends on your recovery but in short, it cant hurt so...

5. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    also careful with TiB in most cases you should just restore the app only not data unless it is a game with scores and stuff you want to keep then go ahead and restore the data

Tags: