1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Backup using twrp/nandroid Pro/TitBu and some questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trylle, Nov 29, 2014.

1. trylle

trylle Member
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Norway
    so I have read the guide on Titanium Backup and this brings out more questions.
    Im using twrp for my custom ROM installer and I have done backup system+ app and system on 3 different ROMs I like.
    I installed Nandroid Manager Pro and I have bought titanium backup app on phone.

So I use twrp to make the nandroid backup, thinking of trying to use Nandroid Manager Pro to restore it and then using TItanium Backup for restoring the apps?

Or should I use TitBackup for everything,and dont do backup with twrp and just backup everything with tit backup?

im a little confused about which to use for what and not.
    A little dummy guide for me, whos not sure how to do backup the correct way yet.

Thanks for any replies.

Advertisement

2. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    A Nandroid takes a "snap shot" of your phone as it is at that point. I always make one before flashing a new mod or flashing a new kernel. It is even advisable to make one before using an app like Xposed or Wanam Xposed to alter or change something, although some might regard that as overkill.

Use a Nandroid to restore in these situations. 1)You alter something and it gives you a bootloop you can't get out of, but let's you get into recovery. 2) You try something new and you don't like it or it doesn't work properly or as expected. It is really your "get out of jail free card". Only restore a Nandroid from the recovery that made it and only make then from manually entering recovery through the three button long and hold press (vol up + home + power, in that order and holding from an off phone) as some recoveries don't like apps that allow you in from a UI. Finally remember you cannot restore an older firmware via a Nandroid for instance 4.4.2 to 4.3. Some custom ROMs do allow this as they are made with an old bootloader, but only if the ROM installation instructions say it allows it.

A Titanium Backup (A TB) is used for your applications and their data. Got to level 97 in "Zombie monsters from the planet X"? No worries it will save that for you to use on a new ROM you have had to wipe the phone to install. A TB saves time in reinstalling apps and perhaps more importantly saves their settings and states. It can also be used to freeze unwanted system apps and unistall system apps (use with extreme caution), extract system apps as an installer file (. Apk) and revert an app back to an older version. While you can restore system apps with a TB after updating your firmware, it is best not to, only restore apps that you have installed as old system apps on a new firmware can (and do) cause problems. Titanium backup itself can also be used to unlink apps from Play store and link apps not purchased from the Play Store but from else where to the Play Store.

I hope that makes it all a bit clearer. :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.