1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Backups 101

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by angiembfl, Jun 1, 2011.

1. angiembfl

angiembfl Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    NE FL
    I'm sorry if this has been covered. I tried a search and didn't find what I was looking for. If there is already something out there feel free to link it and flame me for being a lowly noob. :eek:

So I'm getting more comfortable and interested in trying out some themes but like where my Ally is now so just in case I want to be able to get back to where it is easily. But I hear you all mentioning things like Nandroid and Titanium and sometimes both. So, I'm wondering which is better or both and if both why or there something even better. Also, an abbreviated how to. Thanks to you all - you've been super great and patient with me!

Advertisement

2. lightningdude

lightningdude Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 9, 2010
    Nandroid, I believe, would be best for you if you want to mess with themes. That way, you just restore to exactly as it was before you themed it, without having to do individual backups of apps and such.

First of all, are you familiar with recovery at all? Since you have Velocity 1.1 installed (as noticed from your other thread), your power menu has an option to go into recovery mode. Once in recovery, you will see a menu. In this menu, scroll down to Backup/Restore and click the enter button on your keyboard. This will give you a number of options, you want to select nand backup.

Once in the Nandroid menu, depending on which recovery you have, you will either be presented with yes or no option or the option to pick what gets backed up. If you have the options, just leave them the way they are, and agree to start the nandroid backup. Once it is completed, you are done! Exit out by pressing the volume down button a couple of times, then select Reboot system now.

Once you want to restore the Nand you just made, go to the same menu, then click nand restore instead of backup. It names your backups by date, so pick the one you want, if you've done more than one. That should be all!

If you have questions, feel free to ask, and good luck with Themes!

angiembfl and savoxis like this.
  3. angiembfl

angiembfl Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    NE FL
    Thanks so much for that info! So the Nandroid back up, will it back up my apps and apps data as well? Or is that why people are using Titanium also?

I found and created a Nandroid backup. Super easy! The Velocity team made this all a piece of cake. :) Thanks again!

4. swc2001

swc2001 Android Expert
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Rubber Duck Salesman
    Chattanooga, TN
    Titanium is generally used to just back up apps and app data.
    A Nandroid will Back up all of that too.
    One reason to use Titanium is what if I were to switch Roms. Well Then Titanium coul put all of my apps back on that Rom. Or lets say I switch phones even. Titanium backup will put most of all of that back on the new phone just like it was on the old phone.

That is a very readers digest version.

If anyone else wants to have a go I am sure it would be welcome.

**edit**

I reccommend using both.

angiembfl likes this.
  5. lightningdude

lightningdude Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 9, 2010
    Indeed, as swc2001 says, Titanium Backup is good for backups of only apps and data. I'll go ahead and explain how that works, too.

Do a search in the Market for Titanium Backup. It has root in the title so that you can tell that you need root for the app to work. Since you're on Velocity 1.1, you have root.

Once you download and run the app, it'll get root permission, then pop up. You will want to select the Backup/Restore button at the top of the app screen.

Once in the Backup/Restore page, you will see all of your installed apps. To back them all up at once, hit the menu button on your phone and select Batch. You will be presented with quite the list of actions to execute. To backup your apps and data, including system apps data, select "Backup all user apps + system data." If that isn't what you want to do, there are many other options for actions, they're pretty self-explanatory.

Once you click the Run button beside the Backup option, you will be presented with all of your installed apps. Everything is already selected, you simply deselect what you don't want to back up. After you've made your choices, press the "Run the batch operation" button.

And you are now backed up to SD card!

To restore, in that batch menu, simply scroll down to the Restore section, and select which you want to do. If you don't buy the Pro key (which isn't at all necessary), it'll have you confirm the installation of every app. If you buy the Pro Key, you won't have to.

There are other benefits to the Pro Key, but with you just starting out, you won't necessarily appreciate those right away.

As previously stated by swc2001, the Nandroid will backup your apps and data too, but it's more of a screenshot of your current setup. Titanium Backup will reinstall all of your apps and data no matter what ROM or phone you decide to switch to, but only if you're rooted.

angiembfl and swc2001 like this.
Tags: