• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backwards Micro Usb?

quijibo

Jun 28, 2010
I have been trying to get my Mother-in-Laws Xoom to charge correctly. They have a 850ma phone charger that isn't keeping up and a Motorola basic dock that the Xoom won't sit in. The Xoom is a refurb and the micro usb port may be installed backwards. It is in this configuration with the screen facing up;
micro_usb_pinout_271738117322.jpg

Is this the correct orientation, or is the dock incorrect?
I am having another issue as well: The manual instructs that holding the volume + button while pressing the power button will reboot the Xoom. It does hibernate or sleep the Xoom, but it doesn't reboot. The battery usage tab still says that it has been on for days. The Xoom is an MZ505 running Android 4.0.4.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

I have a Xoom running 4.04 too, I don't have a dock for it so I honestly can't comment on that part of what you're asking. The micro USB port does look like its upside down compared to other tablets/phones and mine will only charge properly with the charger provided with the Xoom, anything else will just trickle charge it very very slowly. Since the 4.04 update the reboot method is a little bit different from what the manual says, use the power button to put it to sleep then hold power and volume down together for a few seconds and it should reboot. You need to put it to sleep first otherwise this method takes a screen shot. Hope that helps you a bit.

Upvote 0
You're saying that it charges through the HDMI? In either case, the micro usb needs to be able to plug into the Xoom for the pins to make contact and one of them is oriented incorrectly.

It charges through the hole next the HDMI looks like a large pin hole. As far as the orientation of the micro USB port my Xoom is the opposite to what you have shown.

Reactions: quijibo
Upvote 0
The Xoom can be charged by one of two ways.

You can charge it with a power adapter (what most people have/use). It goes into the charging hole in the bottom center of the Xoom.

The other way it can charge is while on a dock. The dock does NOT charge through the USB port (many people make that mistake). The two gold pins on the dock make contact with the two gold pads on the Xoom to charge it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones