• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bad Battery or Poor Battery Life

My battery life was bad, but it was OK, but in the past few days my battery life is 10% per 30minutes(Just over 5 hours on a charge). I used to get 8-10 hours on a charge. I noticed last week that while it was charging the status of the battery was "Overheat". I think I somehow cooked the battery?

I use TaskKiller and kill 95% of apps automatically, I have bluetooth,wireless,GPS disabled and the screen dimmed. I have not changed or installed any new apps. I have not changed the way I use the phone at all.

My battery was dead, 0%, and it charged to 95% in about 45 minutes. Is this even possible? In fact in the past two days I have not gotten the charge above 95% at all.

I found that killing the Facebook sync and removing Meebo is what gave me extra battery life. I have the TP2 1500mah battery and I was getting about 8-10 hours with Meebo running. After I removed Meebo and disabled Facebook sycning, I now get about 20 hours of battery. In fact, I've been able to leave my phone unplugged, overnight, at 50% and wake up to a phone that's not dead.

Upvote 0
Honestly, it might be the task killer that's causing the problem. My battery life has gotten way better since getting rid of it.

It makes sense if you think about it, too. The task killer itself is running constantly, killing all of your applications. It's actually using more battery than applications just residing in the memory.

And to add to this, those apps that get killed, auto-restart almost as soon as they are killed. The phone may need them to run other things. So this is using battery power as well.

Keep in mind that you phone runs Linux. So when an app is not actively running (Streaming Music or other things real-time) those other apps you see in the App killer are not drawing anything from your battery, memory & processing power.

The operating system is more efficient than we think.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to remove the task manager and see how that goes.

I am not familiar with Li-ion batteries. I know they are temperature sensitive, and will not charge when hot. But if the battery gets hot, during use or charging, can this permanently damage or reduce its capacity?

I know this is likely posted somewhere else, Whats the latest news on high capacity batteries? Is the 1700mah the biggest available without changing case size?

Upvote 0
There is a known battery charge Issue that If the phone is on it only charges to 95 percent. If you turn the phone off you will notice the charge light goes red and continues to charge. I noticed today that when I turned the phone off and let it finish charging once the light went green I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the light would go red and charge more I did the a few times over about 30 minutes and it has made a very noticeable difference in battery life

Upvote 0
I turned my phone off last night and let it charge up to the full 100%. My phone has been on for 13hrs 44mins and awake for 3hrs 2mins. I didn't use the phone much from the time I took it off the charger until about 3:30 then I used it pretty hard for about an hour and a half. Web, e-mail, txt, GPS, IM, and 1 phone call that lasted 2 minutes. The battery went from 80% into the orange. My battery is now less than 10% and i'm about to put it back on the charger.

HTC really should have put atleast a 1500mAH stock battery in this phone. People ask me how I like the phone and I tell them all the good things about it, then I bring up the bad battery life and it overshadows all the good stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones