1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bad connection with android at home - laptops work

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by xfranczeskax, Apr 17, 2016.

1. xfranczeskax

xfranczeskax Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2016
    Female
    Hello!

So the problem is this: At home all my devices connect to WLAN, but only the android devices have a really bad connection - websites load slowely, google playstore app is not accessible because of time out. (Via browser the play store loads forever and won't make it to installing anything.) The windows laptops, however, work fine. (I do not have apple or other devices for comparison)

I have a HitronTechnologies Router Model CVE-30360 for my LAN (50 MB max speed, installed 2015) and a Belkin f5d8236-4v3 router for my WLAN. As I said, all devices connect without problem. Also, all devices have quick internet (LTE or 4G) and a connection to the google playstore when in other WLAN networks - only at home they turn into snails.

The problem kids are
    Samsung Galaxy Note II SHV-E250L (korean version), KitKat4.4.2 rooted
    - no possibility in the menue to change network settings like the Ghz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 2015 SM-P605, Lollipop 5.1.1 (not rooted)
    SONY XPeria ST27i, Gingerbread 2.3.7

I do not really know much about routers now - is the belkin too old? Does it lack something it should have? Will buying a new router solve the problem?
    Unfortunately I cannot really reconstruct when the problem ccured first. Everything used to work just fine at one point, but my family changed the internet contract and got the hitron router from the company. The Belkin had been used before, I think, but nobody is sure anymore.

What I have tried until now:
    I have made a reset on the routers and installed them new.
    I have checked the firmware - it's up to date
    I have downloaded wifi-analyzer (I opened the play store on the laptop and sent the download to my device) and changed the channel on the Belkin from 6 to 13 upon recommendation.

The hitron has the following settings which cannot be changed:
    WLAN security WPA-Personal
    WLAN standart 11G/N Mixed
    WLAN channel Auto
    WLAN Status Disable

I have changed the G and N setting on the belkin
    I have tried static IPs.

Anyhow, nothing changes.
    What can be the culprit? If anybody has any suggestions, I'd be really glad, because buying a new router just to try it out is expensive..

Thanx, xfranczeskax

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

One thought..

Is the Belkin plugged to the Hitron? If so, have you disabled DHCP on the Belkin? You should not have both devices trying to allocate WLAN IP addresses.

3. xfranczeskax

xfranczeskax Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2016
    Female
    Thanx for the suggestion.
    Yes, the Belkin is plugged into the Hitron.
    Following your advice I have turned the DHCP server to off on the Blkin (it was always on).
    The result: My laptop stays conneceted to WLAN, but my android on DHCP setting says "IP could not be retrieved". My Android on static ip (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.) connects but no changes concerning the original problem.
    So I guess I should change the settings back.

4. xfranczeskax

xfranczeskax Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2016
    Female
    To specify the cable connections. Following th Belkin instructions the Belkin is attached to the hitron via the "modem" slot and the "wired" slot leads to the PCs LAN-slot.

5. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    I would connect the Belkin to the Hitron via a "normal" ethernet port and try again with the DHCP off on the Belkin. This normally works fine.

The IP addresses you quote are Googles DNS lookup servers, not to be confused with IP adresses allocated by your Hitron's DHCP which would normally be in the range 192.168.0.XXX. If the google addresses are allocated to your androids, that is probably the problem.

6. xfranczeskax

xfranczeskax Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2016
    Female
    I do not quite understand how I am supposed to change the cables. If you could explain.^^
    The hitron is connected to the telefone/internet plug in the wall, and the belkin is connected to the hitron via a LAN-cable in the yellow colored slot that says "modem" on the Belkin (as in the instructions, the other options are all "wired" slots) and "LAN" on the hitron (no other option there).

The Google DNS thing with the 8.8.8.8 number on my tablet was just another try to see what's working and I hadn't changed it back since it didn't change for the worse. It's not the problem as the other android device had a normal DHCP setting but couldn't connect after the change with the DHCP on the Belkin router. Anyway both devices don't connect with google play when on normal DHCP IPs.

7. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Maybe this will help:
    http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=8067

It's really important that you leave your Hitron as your home network's primary router and your Belkin is simply a wireless access point. The Belkin should NOT being doing any DHCP or DNS functions, it's only purpose is to pump out a wireless signal. Don't have the Ethernet cable plugged into the 'modem' port on your Belkin, it has to be plugged into one of those 'wired' ports to function as an access point. (Basically, you only want one of your routers being fed a signal from WAN, in this case your Hitron box, everything else behind that is your home's internal network, your LAN)

girolez likes this.
  8. xfranczeskax

xfranczeskax Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2016
    Female
    I have been calling the Hitron a router but I guess it's the modem. And then the Belkin is the router.
    Anyway I tried connecting the Hitron and the Belkin via a "wired" port and the WLAN connection then was really slow. Also my main LAN-Pc chose the moment to have connectivity trouble which was weird. Then I tried assigning the Belkin a static IP (192.168.2.254) and I got the message that I should change the adress bar to the new IP. Now, however, I cannot access the belkin page anymore, neither through the old IP nor the new. So I cannot disable the DHCP now and have no idea what to do. I guess I have to reset the router or something. :(

9. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

Internet
    >
    Hitron - this has active DHCP. WLAN disabled.
    >
    Belkin - this connected to Hitron ethernet port (not modem) does not have fixed I allocated. Must have DHCP disabled.
    >

10. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Your Hitron is a modem and router, as a modem there's your incoming cable connection (WAN or Wide Area Network) and as a router it's managing your home internal network (LAN or Local Area Network). Your Belkin should be set up as an ACCESS POINT only. The Belkin router absolutely has to be re-purposed as just a basic network switch, all routing functions need to be done by your Hitron modem/router. You don't want two devices acting as two different routers on your network, it just doesn't work out.
    Right now it sounds like you've got a lot of mismatched settings and things incorrectly connected. Unplug everything from your Hitron modem/router and unplug everything from your Belkin wireless router. Now connect the power cord and the coax cable from your wall outlet to your Hitron and nothing more for now. Now take your Belkin wireless router, and reset it, they only thing you want plugged into it right now is the power adapter to do the reset. Whatever configurations you were doing before were creating a lot of problems. Static IPs, mixing up DSN addresses with IP addresses, that's all wrong. Wipe it so it's configured with its factory default settings. Now connect an Ethernet cable into a LAN port ('wired') port on your Belkin and plug that into a laptop or desktop. Using a browser you'll want to turn it into an access point (no DHCP, no DNS, no fixed, random IPs), follow the instructions from this link, stop making up your own:
    http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=8067
    Once you've finished setting up you Belkin as an access point, now you can connect it to your Hitron modem/router. As an access point your Belkin needs to be connected to your Hitron using one LAN port to another LAN port so do not use the WAN (modem) port. At this point you have your cable connection feeding your Hitron modem/router and your Hitron is the acting as the primary source for all your home network's basic functions with your Belkin now only doing one thing, providing you with WiFi connectivity. If you have a desktop or a laptop you that you want to use with a wired connection just plug it into one of the remaining LAN (wired) ports -- your Belkin just allows you to connect to your home network, all functions like assigning IPs is done by your Hitron modem/router.

girolez likes this.
  11. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Yes ^^

Me and svim are trying to say the same thing..

12. xfranczeskax

xfranczeskax Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2016
    Female
    Thank you all for the explanations. Ignore that I said previously things are fixed, they are not.
    After resetting and connecting the router correctly suddenly google playstore started working on my devices and I was happy enough, but my internet overall has turned for the worse.
    The speedtest say the download rate is peerfect (50 MB) but the upload is bad at under 1 MB where there should be 2 and pages load abysmally slow on all computers and devices now.

Anyway I fail to set the router as an access point. I just don't get there. The page you gave me above instructs to enable "use as access point" and then give a static Ip. The defualt is 192.168.2.254. It sais to give a unique one but I have no idea so I clicked on "apply changes" with the default one. Was that wrong? What should I chose there?

Because then I get the message to change the adress bar number to this new IP, the router reboots in 40 seconds and the webpage of the router is not accessible anymore. But now I cannot access the router neither through the old 192.168.2.1 number nor through the new 192.268.2.245 number. So how am I supposed to do step nr. 4 "disabling the DHCP server" when I don't ge tinto the belkin anymore?
    Any tipps are welcome!

#12 xfranczeskax, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016