1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Bad esn phone...trying to roo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Danielleh, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Danielleh

Danielleh Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    I bought an evo that has a bad esn. not on purpose and obviously i can't do much about it SO....i am trying to root it and basically make it an android ipod (or to test other roms i might like) which i can use. i've tried rooting and it isn't rooting all the way (still shows S-on) but otherwise was works. I can connect to my house wifi, or my working evo as a hotspot.

I am just going to start all over again right now but wanted to make a trouble shooting thread for this. I haven't seen anyone trying to root an "unactivated" evo and whether there will be troubles or not.

Advertisement

2. Drew5150

Drew5150 Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    SF
    no idea, I can't imagine having it activated would matter though.

so you still had s-on, do you have recovery?

you may need to run the unrevoked forever zip....

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
  4. Danielleh

Danielleh Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    it might have been a late night glitz lol. finally got it rooted and did it all EXACTLY. One thing is that my computer automatically finds the usb driver as soon as i plug the phone in so i still went into the device manager and right clicked "uninstall" while the phone was unplugged, plugged it back in and while the computer was updating itself i right clicked android 1.0 and made sure it was finding my file where i put it. i don't know if the failure last time was in doing this wrong or not but since i've only flashed um...lets see this is.....#2!!! haha.

so now...lets see if i can do Never Run Out of Minutes Again: Make Free VoIP Calls on Android Phones - How-To Geek
    this and still use the cell as a phone...i wonder if a 3g dongle would be cheaper than a cell plan?

Tags: