• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bad news about Exchange sync

johninbigd

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009
One of the reasons I wanted the Droid was that Android 2.0 offers native Exchange support. However, I just heard that Verizon is going to force us to use some other service that requires a server, much like Blackberry Enterprise Server.

:(

This really, really stinks.

I hope not! My boss was told that directly by a Verizon employee at a demo/conference yesterday. The Verizon guy said that Verizon had bought some other company and was going to force us to use that technology/system for Exchange sync. Maybe it's just an option for enterprises that want it.

Upvote 0
I cannot imagine how they could possibly stop you from syncing with your own exchange server. It just uses port 443 (or 80 if insecure) to sync with outlook web access. Most likely it is like BIS Blackberry Internet Server offered for blackberries. Companies may or may not have BES Blackberry Enterprise Servers for their own use.

Upvote 0
One of the reasons I wanted the Droid was that Android 2.0 offers native Exchange support. However, I just heard that Verizon is going to force us to use some other service that requires a server, much like Blackberry Enterprise Server.

:(

This really, really stinks.

Ahh... no. Android 2.0 supports Exchange ActiveSync, which is specifically designed for companies that have Exchange servers and want to provide mobile access . What you just heard, was incorrect.

Upvote 0
I have the Verizon Android and I'm syncing to Exchange with no issues as well as 4 other POP3 accounts, 5 email accounts total. I love the coroporate calendar and how it keeps seprate from a personal calendar on the phone that I sync via Companion link with my home computer's Outlook. Great to be able to have personal and work calendars separate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones