• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bad News: Limited Stock of Droid X For Launch

The VZW corp store near me said they were getting 30 DX's and they had a list with 38 names on it. The rep did not want to put my name on the list because I am not eligible for an upgrade. The first shipment of phones are for new customers and customers who are eligible for upgrade. He did mention about adding a second line and I said I did not want that because I have a BB Storm 2 and I did not want to pay for 2 data plans.:eek:

There is a workaround however...

Go onto eBay or hit up one of your friends and get a cheap Verizon phone that works and doesn't require a data plan. Buy the Droid X and place it on a second line. Once the second line is established, go onto the MyVerizon web site and activate the cheapo feature phone on the second line (this automatically cancels your data plan). Next activate the Droid X on your primary line.

End result: You now have your new Droid X on your primary line and a cheapo phone activated on the second line. This should add approximately 10 dollars a month to your phone bill.

Upvote 0

Go onto eBay or hit up one of your friends and get a cheap Verizon phone that works and doesn't require a data plan. Buy the Droid X and place it on a second line. Once the second line is established, go onto the MyVerizon web site and activate the cheapo feature phone on the second line (this automatically cancels your data plan). Next activate the Droid X on your primary line.

End result: You now have your new Droid X on your primary line and a cheapo phone activated on the second line. This should add approximately 10 dollars a month to your phone bill.

Don't they require you to maintain the data plan on the line if you start a line with a smart phone? They're making folks buy data with certain phones now and the language in the contract says they data plan must be maintained throughout the length of the term.

Upvote 0

They dont automatically cancel the data plan you have to cancel it or they will keep it on the phone

Upvote 0
oh well, for what it's worth, the guy at the verizon store said he'd hold one for me until 7 pm on thursday. So apparently (hopefully) I don't have to worry.

And as expected, he failed to hold it, after insisting two days ago that he could when I told him I didn't believe him.

Not a good first experience with Verizon, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
And as expected, he failed to hold it, after insisting two days ago that he could when I told him I didn't believe him.

Not a good first experience with Verizon, that's for sure.

Just a thought though.. If he was to be there until 7pm, chances are he wasn't there this morning at the launch and if there was a rush, they will take phones that other reps have on hold to close a sale. Sucks, I know, but the stores are sales driven. Some people weren't even able to upgrade because they were told the new Droid X's were for new adds only. These are stores that should be dealt with but unfortunately it happens all the time. When I worked in the store, I witnessed it many times. Some people are even told they can't purchase a phone without 3 accessories. They say it comes as a package and can't be sold without.

Upvote 0
I was driving home "San Diego" called 3 different Verizon locations, all said no more, but cold have one delivered for SAT-AM. Decided to stop by & order. Went to wrong location by mistake. Guy pulled one out, and I bought it! So, this is my first android phone, so far i'm diggin it! Still have my 3GS in case I can't get used to the os. I need to learn how to sync all my contacts over from Outlook now..
This is one hell of a nice phone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones