1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support bad service inside certain buildings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aohus, Oct 23, 2010.

1. aohus

aohus Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Letting people know that ATK's are bad
    I get bad service at certain buildings. I'm in target store right now and service is ridiculously bad

Advertisement

2. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    good enough to post I see can't be to bad...might just be the thickness of the building not allowing any service...just a guess tho

3. FourAndFive

FourAndFive Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I get 1-2 bars in my house, yet my friends D2 gets 3-4 bars. Annoying. My case also seems to reduce my reception.

4. Exiled

Exiled Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    CA
    I spend most of my day in a cement building. Even by the window I can't even get a bar. most of my classmates can still manage to text in class but I can't and its frustrating. as soon as I go outside its fine so I know its the building that's blocking it.

5. fuzio1963

fuzio1963 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    All cellular providers do NOT guarantee services inside of buildings. It is in your Contracts.

6. Is this your very 1st cell phone? I can assure you this is a market wide issue regardless of phone brand, carrier, smartphone/dumbphone, yearly income, social status.... it doesn't matter really, buildings have always and will always cause problems with cell devices. Unless there is some sort of signal booster implemented in the building.

Thats not to say there's no difference from one phone to the next as far as getting service inside a building. But service in certain area's will effect all cell phones, not just the Droid X. I've always found it to be more of a carrier thing myself though. Like for instance where I live Verizon just has better coverage than all the others. Believe me Verizon was my last choice because they are by far the most expensive carrier around here. But after initially signing up for AT&T (back then they were Cingular), tben switching to Sprint, I eventually had no choice but to go with Verizon because I got sick and tired of having to go out and stand on my front porch at my house (especially in the winter) just to get a single bar of service. And that was the same with all 3 phones I tried out.

Switching over to Verizon has been absolutely worth the larger monthly bill. Now I get service practically anywhere I've ever been (buildings excluded).

7. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    KS, USA
    Yep sometimes that happens when you are in a giant concrete/steel cage.

8. wxman2003

wxman2003 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2010
    That's why google, verizon and others purchased the lower end of the spectrum from the phased out analog tv spectrum. The lower spectrum is better for penetrating buildings, etc, and hopefully in the near future they will start using it.

9. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    It's not unusual... I traditionally get lousy service inside big box stores like Walmart and Home Depot. It's all that steel, concrete, and RF interference that, I believe, mucks up the reception.

10. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Let's wait and see[​IMG]

11. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Anything between two radio antennas will reduce reception. Trees, cases, hands...

12. aohus

aohus Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Letting people know that ATK's are bad
    i've noticed drop in signal significantly in the DX. Didn't have much of an issue with the Storm1. Could be due to the fact I'm doing more with the DX. But yeah, when in big buildings with a lot of glass/metal, reception gets really flaky.

13. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Retired as of 2008.
    Phoenix AZ
    Interesting. I am having the same problems in buildings and spaces I have been in and used for years. My "old" LG dumb phones, included the spouse's, never had these problems in these buildings and spaces. Ever.

The problem seems to have worsened after 2.2 OTA.

14. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    flaky as in you can't hold a call or the signal meter jumps? I don't have any problems with calls inside buildings, but 3G can be spotty.

15. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    try dialing *228 and choosing option 2? You might have an old PRL

16. ChiefHopper

ChiefHopper Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Retired as of 2008.
    Phoenix AZ
    Won't hold a call. Also unable to make calls at all.

And I do the *228 stunt often.

17. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Chuckle