1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

bad speaker volume quality

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by onepath, May 24, 2011.

1. onepath

onepath Lurker

im experiencing some bad speaker sound quality on my two week old ns4g. I'm not sure if this is a valid comparison but when trying to show my friend a YouTube video yesterday in a restaurant (there is background music), I found that I could barely hear anything from my phone sitting on the table and playing the video. my friend pulls out his Nokia to watch the video and the music is in fact extremely loud and audible. is this a general quality of all nexus s phones or did mine just happen to be a dud?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Android Expert

speaker seems to be pretty underwhelming on my mom's nexus S as well.

3. mdhall41

mdhall41 Newbie

quality seems fine, but it could certainly be louder.

4. viber

viber Android Enthusiast

Agreed. I wouldn't regard it as a quality issue, but rather a volume issue.

Louder usually seems better to most people.

5. Nfinity

Nfinity Newbie

It's very quiet. I can barely hear Netflix in my own home while my roommates listen to stuff on their computer. My Omnia 2 blew this phones single speaker out of the water in terms of achievable volume levels. Also, placing the volume below half is a joke. Might as well be muted at that point.

6. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

Yep. The volume of the speaker sucks. :mad:

7. mightymouse00

mightymouse00 Newbie

I totally agree. The quality of this piece of crap speaker is unacceptable! When turned all the way up, it sounded like the sounds were just bleeding out of it horribly. Music wise seems OK, but when watching a video on YouTube or another video.. its quite sad. I wonder if there's a way to make it better.. maybe have the hardware replaced?

8. warbux

warbux Member

I have noticed this same problem. My ringers are unacceptably quiet even at max volume. I frequently miss calls because of it. The sound of the phone vibrating on my nightstand is actually louder than the alarm itself. Does anybody have a Nexus S with a satisfactory speaker or do they all have this issue?

9. Oimmuk

Oimmuk Newbie

GrimeTime28 likes this.
  10. warbux

warbux Member

Sending it in for repairs...? As in, you'll be without your phone for weeks?

11. kevino

kevino Newbie

Count me in. I've been frustrated with the volume of my Nexus S 4G since I got it. Coming from an iPhone with two loud speakers, I was like, WTF?! I honestly don't know how such obvious stuff such as this gets past Google's QA. :/

12. warbux

warbux Member

That's why I'm wondering if they ALL have bad speakers or if my (and your) device is just defective. It seems like an oversight this massive would be impossible.

13. Oimmuk

Oimmuk Newbie

Ok well the case is a s such...I Sent my Phone off to the repair center Monday the 17th and I got it back Tuesday the 25th:D...FIXED!!!:D. I tested out the ringer by putting the phone in the Chest of drawers and calling it from across the room with the TV on...I heard it just fine.... One week turn-a-round aint too shabby and it was free to me...

14. lightyear420

lightyear420 Lurker

My speaker is MUCH louder now with the ICS port that's posted at android central. It's probably about 2x louder than it used to be :)

15. porthos7

porthos7 Well-Known Member

So am I to assume that the volume problem be addressed with the ICS upgrade?

16. the1who

the1who Well-Known Member

Oh please let that be the case! I'm ready to have the blaring phone back that I used to have, handy when you're deep in a plane and you left it on the toolbox to know when you got something....oh that is the next most exciting thing for me then.

17. warbux

warbux Member

I don't care if I can hear my phone from a chest of drawers. I want to be able to hear it from my pocket. I want to be able to hear videos without having to plug in a headset.

Nexus S 4G Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews