• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Baked Snacks 1.7 or Fresh 3.2???

Anyone ran both and have info on which delivers the best batt life? I am on 1.7 and considering 3.2...however, I want to know it's better before I totally wipe...Thanks!!

why don't you nandroid your BS1.7, wipe, flash F3.2, test, and decide for yourself which has battery life? That's what nandroids are for :)
Battery life may have more to do with your personal usage anyway, but I'm willing to bet they are comparable. Most respectable ROMs these days have already been optimized for battery life.

Upvote 0
why don't you nandroid your BS1.7, wipe, flash F3.2, test, and decide for yourself which has battery life? That's what nandroids are for :)
Battery life may have more to do with your personal usage anyway, but I'm willing to bet they are comparable. Most respectable ROMs these days have already been optimized for battery life.

+1 I agree, i tried about 5 diff roms to see what i liked and didn't. I loke some aspects of cm6, and some of fresh. I like some parts of sense and dislike some. I chose mine through trial and error. This goes with kernels as well. I recommend to try roms first, find one you like and start to customoze it once you have a base to work with. And always, i repeat always do a nand backup before you change anything!!!

Upvote 0
Anyone ran both and have info on which delivers the best batt life? I am on 1.7 and considering 3.2...however, I want to know it's better before I totally wipe...Thanks!!

I am running fresh 3.2 with netarchy kernel and get around 25 hrs battery with moderate usage, i am also underclocked, and i am not sure what it does but i also calibrated my battery

Upvote 0
I Endorse Baked Snack 1.7...

chuckprooved.jpg

Gotta listen to Chuck

Upvote 0
I've tried several as well, started with AC 2.5 from the "other" forum and thought it was pretty good, moved to Burnt Droid and used that for a while but started getting syncing issues and even after wiping and reinstalling several times I couldn't get them to resolve. Not sure if I did something myself to bring them on or what. So moved to Baked snack and loved it, however there was one annoying issue I had that I dealt with for a while, and even again after wiping and reinstalling, trying some different things I couldn't get to resolve. That was my Handcent would not give me a notification tone when a message came in. Also there was an issue at max volume when I would get a phone call it was all static sounding. Not sure but could have been from the audio fix they added to the Rom. But I could deal with that, just bump my volume down a notch. The annoying Handcent issue I couldn't. So I moved to Vaelpak's non sense, which was ok, but I missed too many things I liked about sense, some of the features that were missing from the non sense rom, so I tried Fresh 3.2, which looked slick and I did not get to give it a full test because during setup I found that launcher pro would not show up and kept reverting to sense after I would hit the home key. So I rewiped and just put on a stock rooted rom with the newest htc kernal. Which after removing some garbage I've been satisfied with until some of the other Roms I liked get updated. Overall I woulda kept using Burnt Droid if I could have gotten rid of the syncing issues. But the one that gave me the least trouble was Baked Snack. But the Handcent notification issue finally made me switch, as I never knew when a message was coming in.

Upvote 0
so I tried Fresh 3.2, which looked slick and I did not get to give it a full test because during setup I found that launcher pro would not show up and kept reverting to sense after I would hit the home key. So I rewiped and just put on a stock rooted rom with the newest htc kernal. Which after removing some garbage I've been satisfied with until some of the other Roms I liked get updated. Overall I woulda kept using Burnt Droid if I could have gotten rid of the syncing issues. But the one that gave me the least trouble was Baked Snack. But the Handcent notification issue finally made me switch, as I never knew when a message was coming in.

You have to go to applications in settings, manage apps, all apps, find htc sense and select clear defaults and when you press your home button, you get the option for sense or lp, and you can chose default from there

Upvote 0
Well, I downloaded Fresh 3.2 lastnight and pushed it to my card. Before I flashed it I went into SetCPU and was messing around. I set the main to 126*** and put it on performance, it had been on conservative. Once I exited out..my phone seemed like it was on Steroids. I then installed the DX multitoch keyboard again and I'm happy as a pig in sh!t. I think i'm resting on BS 1.7 Ker 6.

Upvote 0
Well, I downloaded Fresh 3.2 lastnight and pushed it to my card. Before I flashed it I went into SetCPU and was messing around. I set the main to 126*** and put it on performance, it had been on conservative. Once I exited out..my phone seemed like it was on Steroids. I then installed the DX multitoch keyboard again and I'm happy as a pig in sh!t. I think i'm resting on BS 1.7 Ker 6.
Be careful with this. The performance governor will keep it overclocked at all times. This can result in higher temps, increased awake time, decreased battery life, and possible adverse affects on your phone's longevity.

Upvote 0
I'm overclocked on fresh. What do you mean, wait for it to be able to OC?

It installs with a unreleased HTC kernel that doesn't allow overclock.

Why don't you you have the "on-demand" governor? I do. What version are you running?

I dunno why. I have performance, conservative and interactive. I am on BS 1.7 with kernel 6 that installed with it.

Upvote 0
Sort of a noob at rooting, but I was wondering if I can install fresh 3.2 without changing my stock 2.2 htc kernel...just got root with Unrevoked 3.2 a few days ago, and taking things one step at a time.
Thanks so much!

Fresh 3.2 comes with a kernel, so when you flash the ROM youll have the kernal with it.
I tried netarchys kernel with freshhhh when i had fresh installed, but it wouldnt boot, so I dont know how compatible it is.

The title of the thread (baked snacks) always makes me hungry

Upvote 0
yeah, anything makes me hungry!

basically then, you just put it in the root of your sd card, boot to restore mode, and run the zip file, correct? Will I lose all my data and proggies when I do that? I've read that with some roms you do, and some you dont..

I see there are a couple of versions of fresh evo out there;3.2.0, 3.2.1, etc..
which one would you recommend trying, and do you usually grab them from XDA, or somewhere else?

thanks for answering these N00B questions!

Upvote 0
yeah, anything makes me hungry!

basically then, you just put it in the root of your sd card, boot to restore mode, and run the zip file, correct? Will I lose all my data and proggies when I do that? I've read that with some roms you do, and some you dont..

I see there are a couple of versions of fresh evo out there;3.2.0, 3.2.1, etc..
which one would you recommend trying, and do you usually grab them from XDA, or somewhere else?

thanks for answering these N00B questions!

Um, if youre coming from stock 2.2 and flashing fresh 3.2 i think you will lose it all :( Because you also need to wipe before flashing a new ROM.
As for the versions, Im not sure what the difference is..Im pretty sure i had fresh 3.2.0, if you read the page it might list the changes in the versions.

And yeah i always grab them from XDA, heres a link to the ROM database, and just look for Fresh and open the thread and dload!!
(Most of the threads will have instructions on how to install too)

Upvote 0
so you wipe before flash ALL new roms, or just some of them?
thats one of the things I get confused about..
I did a titanium backup; can I restore everything that way after installing the new rom?

Too bad XDA is down now..

thanks for your help again!
Wiping is the way to go when flashing a new ROM.

I would clear data, clear cache, and clear dalvik cache. I usually do each one 2x as most recommend. Then flash the zip......

You can Freshes new rom here since XDA is down:

[ROM] 9/3/10 | Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0 | New OTA Base + New Stagefright + New HTC Kernel - PPCGeeks

Again, this comes with a new stock kernel so FPS and overclocking will not work. You can always change your kernel with this rom when you want more.

P.S. Installing everything new is also the best practice for a bug free experience. Check out Appbrain if you do not already know about it. Makes re-installing everything a cinch!

Upvote 0
thanks eric, I appreciate the info!
Yeah, App brain is wonderful; been using it forever.
I am a verteran phone "hacker", but new to android; I feel so stupid asking these questions sometimes!
One quickie about restoring; once I flash the new rom, is it ok to re-install Titanium, them restore everything from the back up on my SD, or, will that be bringing "corrupted" stuff from my old ROM onto the new ROM?
I dont mind restoring from scratch, but restoring from back up does save about 8 hours of sore fingers!! :p:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones