1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Band of screen totally dead

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iowabowtech, Nov 12, 2014.

1. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Well this sucks, a good sized rectangular chunk of my screen is unresponsive. Checked it by using a drawing app.

[​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iowabowtech

Eh, not sure if that screenshot really shows it very well but anyway theres a band that runs all the way across the screen from left to right. Starts just under the little "exit" and is about a half inch in height. Sucks.

3. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

Suddenly half my notification bar doesn't pull down but the developer options show touches shows activity there. Weird.

4. copestag

copestag Android Expert

very common problem with no solutions other than warranty exchange.... just did mine last month after exhaustive research and attempts to correct

5. iowabowtech

I got mine at launch so I think I'm on my own. Ah well, win some lose some.

6. bberryhill0

Now I'm down to a quarter of the notification pull down working. Using G2 Xposed to pull down from a navbar button.

7. iowabowtech

I finally got mine working normally again last night. I accessed the hidden menu and tried several things there relating to the screen. I had already tried updating the touch firmware in days past but I did that a whole bunch of times in a row and somewhere along the line it just started working.

I was having problems swiping down the notification bar also. It'd only pull down if I started in the right spot and dragged down slowly.

Some of the drawing apps won't show the problem. I found it ideally needs to be one that shows individual pixels when it draws. Which pretty much means using this app to test:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cp.stest&hl=en

8. iowabowtech

Well that was short lived. As of yesterday, the same area is dead again. Guess I won't need to return the spare LCD/digitizer I bought. Let's hope surgery will fix this. I've read some accounts that said even replacing the LCD itself didn't fix the problem. :(

9. iowabowtech

Ok so replacing the LCD did fix it. That procedure is not for the feint of heart. :eek:

Anyway, when I got it all put back together, evidently the proximity sensor isn't perfectly lined up with it's window because now whenever I try to make a call, the screen immediately goes dark and stays that way. Only way to get out of it is to hard reboot. So I installed an Xposed module to disable the prox sensor and now all is well other than the screen stays on all the time during calls. I'll take it...not going back in there again. I tried a 2nd time and still didn't get the sensor aligned right so I'm done taking chances. Phone works, calling it a win. :D

bberryhill0 likes this.
  10. geofizzated

geofizzated Lurker

I have started having the same problem but only after I did a factory reset a couple of weeks ago.

I have a band of screen about an inch from the top that sometimes works well but otherwise seems dead, especially on the right side.

I was wondering if it may be also something to do with my Zagg Invisishield and the abnormal heat my phone has been subjected to at work in this country or if it is because I've not been able to get the battery to fully charge on the 110V power here.

11. iowabowtech

My band 'O dead pixels was at that same location though mine spanned the entire width of the screen. Hope it works out better for you.

12. iowabowtech

Ok I lied, I went back in. :D

Disabling the prox sensor had issues...left the screen on during calls and my ear, cheek, etc would brush against the phone causing settings to randomly open up, commit changes etc. Sucked.

So I opened it back up and tweaked the proximity sensor until it was perfectly centered in the little window just left of the LED. Man, that thing has to be freakin perfect for it to work right. My theory is that if it's even slightly out of center, the sensor picks up the edge of that window (the case underlayment) and it always thinks your ear is against it because it's viewing that chunk of plastic as your ear. Mostly it's only an issue during phone calls. Causes the screen to always be off and you can't end a call, engage keyboard, etc.

So finally, it's fixed and like a brand new old one again. :D

bberryhill0 likes this.
  13. bberryhill0

I'm getting dead areas. Called customer service and they said the phone is rooted so they won't replace it. Apparently they could tell that I'm not on KitKat. Wait, while I was on the phone they pushed a program that requested SU access. Sneaky. I should have denied it. Time to return to stock. What fun.

Safe mode screwed up lots of my widgets but didn't turn off Xposed.

* My Verizon got SU access. Very interesting. Then it reported back to the mothership.

** Is there a thread here about returning Verizon G2 to stock?

[​IMG]

#13 bberryhill0, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  14. iowabowtech

hyelton @xda did a nice job of back to stock threads for the g2/g3 so I never bothered with making a guide.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

However, since it was you that asked, here's my personal notes which you can use to supplement the instructions if you choose the tot method. You'll note I have links for G3 stuff there so ignore that. All the rest is the same though...the same version of LG Flash Tools, the same megalock dll which needs switched out, and all the other instructs are identical. The only difference is our vs980 26a firmware is here:

http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/LG_G2/VS980/Stock_Firmware

Unzip the 26a tot. The LGflash dll is common to all firmwares. You'll need that also.

bberryhill0 likes this.
  15. Kronfels

Kronfels Lurker

does anyone try a LCD Touch screen from ali express? I have the same problem with screen and want to buy new..

16. iowabowtech

This is who I used:
    http://www.fixez.com/store/lg/lg-g2

Whatever you decide, look for a reputable dealer that sells OEM replacement screens. There are knock offs out there that you don't want anything to do with. (likely mostly on ebay, not sure)

bberryhill0 likes this.
  17. iowabowtech

bberryhill0 likes this.
  18. bberryhill0

Ordered the screen. I knew something was wrong but it's getting worse really fast now.

19. iowabowtech

Let me know if you have any questions. If you ordered from the link I mentioned, they send you a chunk of adhesive but you do have to cut it into very thin strips to go around the perimeter of the new screen. They also include the back cover removal tool with their orders which is cool. They do NOT include the plastic/rubber spudger however which is a rather important tool to pry the boards up. The are stuck to the bottom of the case with adhesive and a non metal prying tool is imperative to get them loose the first time. I fashioned a similar prying tool from a plastic synthetic shim I had laying around from a home improvement project but it's something to keep in mind.

bberryhill0 likes this.
  20. bberryhill0

Received screen. Good service. Must make spudger.

21. bberryhill0

Spudger made. Did you use curved tweezers?

22. iowabowtech

No. I didn't use anything besides the spudger, rear cover removal tool and philips screwdriver.

bberryhill0 and scary alien like this.
  23. bberryhill0

Going in. What a pain to get my Incredible 4G activated. I miss *228.

iowabowtech likes this.
  24. iowabowtech

At the very bottom of the phone, there's a flat ribbon cable that goes through an elongated slot. Watch that closely upon disassembly and memorize how that, and nearby stuff is threaded through the openings in the case. Also, when pulling the wires off the terminals?? (there's 2 blacks and 2 whites) pay attention to where the whites and blacks were originally connected. Those were the 2 spots I almost erred upon reassembly.

bberryhill0 likes this.

LG G2 Forum

The LG G2 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews