1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Bandwidth Usage?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Galroc, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Galroc

Galroc Active Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I am trying to track down a rogue application that seems to be receiving massive amounts of data. On the iPhone, I would use about 200mb/month due to WiFi at work and at home. However, on the Samsung Captivate, I can go from 100MB/month to 2+GB/month! I noticed huge amounts of data being used on my commutes to and from work.

On occasion, my home WiFi/DSL would get so lagged due to my Captivate being on the network that my son would complain and I would then put the phone in air plane mode.

I reasoned that if it was happening on my WiFi network, as well as 3G, then perhaps I could using my router to log the activity to see what sites my phone was trying to connect to, then perhaps I could pinpoint the offending application.

My phone was connecting to a website that was part of a posting that was on facebook, which was only showing on the Samsung "Feeds and Updates" widget. I wasn't running the native facebook application at the time.

I had the "Feeds and Updates" widget set to never update, unless I manually did it. Why was it trying to connect when it shouldn't have been? Don't know. Am I certain that this widget was the offending application? Not sure. Since removing the widget, I haven't had any bandwidth spikes.

Any others notice this?

PS. I tried Droid Wall, but it fails to work.

Advertisement

2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
  3. Galroc

Galroc Active Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Yes, that is the error I was getting with Droid Wall. Looks like the dev fixed the problem, and perhaps we will see a new version soon.

Good news is that I haven't seen a data spike since removing Samsung Feed and Updates Widget, but it has only been a few days and previously I could go weeks without a data spike, even with the widget installed.