• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bank of America App not working after update to 4.1.83

I believe the app stopped working for several users not just us with the Atrix and update. I say this because if you read the comments on the Market, several people are reporting the same issue. I'm having the same issues you all mentioned.

I'm hoping they will come up with an update to fix this soon.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't know if it's related to the update, but the BOA app was fine for me before the update and now I'm having the same problem as everyone else after the update. After I log in I just get a white screen.

Same here - I used the BofA app heavily prior to the update without a single issue like we have now. Have not been able to use it since the update. My only other banking app appears to be unaffected.

Upvote 0
I was able to fix the app by doing the following (seems the trust store got screwed up with the new release):

Grab all the certs from the bank of america cert chain (I used openssl, you could probably use something else):

openssl s_client -connect www.bankofamerica.com:443 -showcerts

Grab each of the trust certs (3 total) and put them in files ending in .crt
IE: cert1.crt, cert2.crt, cert3.crt (you could also create a pkcs12 out of 'em if you are inclined to do so).

This is likely the problem with other apps noted in this thread.
Place the files into internal storage download directory. Then go to Settings -> Location & Security -> Creential storage -> Install from internal phone storage.

Use: Certificate Manager and you should see your 3 available certs. Add them and then reboot the phone.

Upvote 0
I was able to fix the app by doing the following (seems the trust store got screwed up with the new release):

Grab all the certs from the bank of america cert chain (I used openssl, you could probably use something else):

openssl s_client -connect www.bankofamerica.com:443 -showcerts

Grab each of the trust certs (3 total) and put them in files ending in .crt
IE: cert1.crt, cert2.crt, cert3.crt (you could also create a pkcs12 out of 'em if you are inclined to do so).

This is likely the problem with other apps noted in this thread.
Place the files into internal storage download directory. Then go to Settings -> Location & Security -> Creential storage -> Install from internal phone storage.

Use: Certificate Manager and you should see your 3 available certs. Add them and then reboot the phone.

this didnt work for me for some reason, but when i did a brute force approach of getting all verisign certs, I was all set.

I just tried this on my phone and got both Bank of America and American Express apps to work again.

I ended up exporting all Verisign and GT certificates in .crt format using my Firefox browser, copying them to my Dropbox account (emailing them should be fine too) and installing them one by one on the phone. You need to reboot your phone after installing the certificates...

You can also figure out which certificates you need by clicking on the padlock or company name in the browser's URL bar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones