• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Banking apps for android make me a little nervous

Bill

Oct 28, 2009
Am I the only one that is a bit nervous about some banking apps for android. I noticed on androlib.com that there a whole bunch of banking apps released and I got thinking, what is stoping this developer from doing a man in the middle and stealing information? Just about any one can make an app and put it in the market.

Here is an example of the apps I was looking at.

09Droid, Android Applications and Games

If you goto the official site of this developer it just some blog. Something just had me a bit nervous.

-Bill

I too would never use this to access my bank accounts :)

I did however email the Dev of this a few weeks ago and asked how secure it is , He said it is just basically a link to the "Mobile version" of the Banks website. Imagine the possibility someone can change the link and your actually directed to a phishing site.

No thanks
rudolf.gif

Upvote 0
Shortcuts of any type that masquerade as apps really bother me. Given the ease with which I can create a shortcut or bookmark without any third party involvement, why would I want to involve a third party in such a security-sensitive function? The fact that they offer no real benefit, and present a significant security risk, makes me question their motives even more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones