1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Barcode Scanner or other app to help with budgeting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ylvu28, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ylvu28

ylvu28 Lurker

Hello,
    I have a Samsung Captivate and was wondering if their is an app (barcode scanner or other) that will help me with adding up items as I shop whether it's groceries or stuff for my new house. I know I can try to keep a mental tally of the things I'm purchasing but keeping a mental tally is not easy to do when math is not my best subject. Having a calculator handy while shopping does help but if you hit the clear or cancel button by accident then you'll have to re-enter everything.
    Is there such an app that I can use to scan items and total everything so I know how much I'm spending before checking out?
    This will help with starting my budgeting plan.
    Thanks so much!!!

Advertisement

2. msueagles2010

msueagles2010 Member

I don't know either way, but I must say that this is a fantastic app idea.

3. sremick

sremick Android Expert

There are a lot of shopping list apps, I wouldn't be surprised if one had this feature.

I know Grocery IQ is popular, maybe start there and check it out.

4. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

The problem is that the price is not ecoded into the bar code. It is essentially an item number that the store's system has related to a price. The only way you could get the store's price is if they somehow provided access to their database. Such an ap could only record the item that you're buying, but you'd still have to enter a price (not like that wouldn't be a cool ap in and of its self).

I thought ever since I got my QR scanner that it would be cool if stores would make their database available on an in-store wifi, and then you could use your phone as a price checker. I'm guessing that won't happen for security reasons, though.

5. ~Reaper~

~Reaper~ Well-Known Member

one hell of a good idea