• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Baseband Downgrade to .01P the EASY way!!! (update.zip)

Tired of losing your 3G on the new baseband? Dropping signals and calls all the time since the OTA update? Well here's the solution! The Baseband Downgrade to .01P!!

1) rename to update.zip

2) place on root of sdcard

3) reboot into SPR

4) choose Install

5) Allow installation from update.zip

6) Install

7) Re-Activate by dialing *228, option 1

Have fun guys, and remember... BillyGalbreath did it FIRST! ;)

Baseband Downgrade to .01P - Black Droid Mod

Could this be why I lose my 3G randomly for a day? Then it comes back?

Highly annoying when it drops since I use GV for my SMSing needs.

its possible. however if this happens to you, try putting the phone in flightmode for a second then turn off flightmode. this will shut down the radio and start it backup and reconnect to your tower.

Upvote 0
I just did the downgrade, and my service improved the moment my Droid rebooted. Prior to downgrading, my service had deteriorated substantially since 2.1. I will give a report at the end of today, for whatever it's worth (just my .02) about any real 3G improvements. I used data all day long (Air1, DroidLive, Rhapsody) and almost never have 3G anymore, and if I do it's never for very long.

Upvote 0
Weird.. I have a solid 5 bars on 3G nearly everywhere with the new baseband. The only thing I've noticed is that on my ride to and from work via the train, there's a specific spot (I want to say .5-1 mile in length) along the ride where I go from full 3G to full 1x - but beyond that, reception has been awesome.

Then again, I didn't really have any reception issues with the old baseband either..

Upvote 0
Ok, downgraded yesterday.

Prior to updating to the newest baseband, I never had issues with reception at all. Loved it. Updated well, because it was updating. Newest would be better, or so I thought....

Anywho, after the newest update, I lost my reception for about a 3 mile stretch of road going to work. I live in the sticks, but we usually have great reception. Downloaded and flashed the "old" update, reception came back in that area, and all is well. No change in battery, my 3G, or anything else. Still works as usual in all other places.

I am happier with the old.

Upvote 0
Okay... I downgraded my baseband this morning and was out of my office all day for nearly 12 hours.

I am 100% certain of two things:

First, the so-called baseband upgrade we got with 2.1 causes BAD data signal.

Second, the baseband downgrade presented by the original poster COMPLETELY FIXES and ERADICATES the problem!!

I only got 1xrtt one time the whole entire day after downgrading. Prior to downgrading, I would get 1xrtt almost ALL THE TIME.

I don't know if all 2.1 updates loaded the new baseband, but I know for a fact mine did, and it destroyed my data signal.

Did Verizon do this on purpose in order to free up channels on EVDO? Who knows. But what I do know is that MY Droid will be getting great Big Red data coverage and those who don't downgrade their baseband most likely will not.

I feel like I'm part of an elite community of Droid-geniuses who are blessed with the ability to figure this stuff out and share their solutions with other like-minded (but technically-challenged) comrades like me. I mean, who ever even HEARD of anything called a baseband? The whole idea would never have occurred to me if my life depended on it!

Upvote 0
Just downgraded cause I was having some 3G speed issues, was getting 300kb down and 700kb up speeds, also would notice it going down to a crawl at times when downloading updates from market. Now with the old baseband it has jumped to 1200kb down and 800kb up. So so far so good, I'll give it a day or two to see if this holds up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones