1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Basic Information while updating android versions on the device

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Gaaneshh, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Gaaneshh

Gaaneshh Newbie

Hi Comrades,

I just want to gather some information on updating Android versions.

If i want to update my android version on my device from 2.3.X to newer versions like 3.X.X or 4.0.X

For exammple.

• My android device runs on 2.3.

• On the Settings menu, i see an option for software updates. By clicking this, will it be updating to a newer versions of android(3.X or 4.0) or it will be it be providing the extended version which i have (2.3.X.X)?

To update the android version from 2.3 to higher versions like 3 or 4 . Do i have to root the device?? Is Rooting the only possible way to update to higher versions?

I really got confused regarding this.

Its immensely appreciable if someone provide me the exact fact.
    Thanks in advance...:)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

When you check for software updates it will let you know if an update is available for your device from the manufacturer/service provider.

If none is, you can only update by rooting and installing a custom ROM. DO NOT try that until you are comfortable with your knowledge of Android, can follow instructions precisely and have a plan to fix the phone if things go badly.

Gaaneshh likes this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

And before you consider installing custom ROMs and such and be mad at finding none, keep in mind that these Android versions also have hardware requirements, so that lower end phones like Galaxy Ace, Optimus p500 etc, have no capability on running the newer versions of Android.

Gaaneshh likes this.