1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support basic noob question re messages/texts...help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jodilee123, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    is there a way to have a notification or a small pop up box that can tell me that my emails or texts' are being sent thru?? i thought i turned on some report thing, but i'm not seeing some sort of immediate notification right after the message/text is sent. i checked settings, am i missing it?

i'm on day 3 of the galaxy indulge, and i think i like it a lot. i know i'll love it if i can get this small problem (for me) resolved.

please and thank you in advance for any help with this.

Advertisement

2. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jodilee, welcome to Androidforums! :D

Well, I just noticed something today, when I received an error message saying that a txt was not sent. First time I saw that message, and I have had the phone a few weeks now. So I guess if it doesn't say anything, that you can assume it went through?

As far as a positive confirmation though, sorry I haven't seen anything like that yet, but maybe someone else has?

Jodilee123 likes this.
  3. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    The phone's stock messaging app only warns of failed messages.
    If you want notification / confirmation of sent messages, I think go sms pro should be able to handle that. Go sms pro is available for free via the marketplace. I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe it should be able to tell you...

Jodilee123 likes this.
  4. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    thanks for the help and the welcome!!

understood about getting no error message, is a good thing. i've actually, pathetically, have sent emails messages to myself, just to see how this all works. and they do go thru, without any probs, so i guess it's working. i'm panicky about the dumb message sign. i also don't always hear the notifications, but i think that's just me. i may need to put two very different sound alerts for texts and emails, so i can tell them apart.

i also threw some money on the metro connect thing so i can get a ringtone, and it keeps telling me i have no balance, and can't add upgrades. spoke with customer service which went nowhere. i may go into the store, which is almost just as useless.

anyway, i'm still playing and learning everyday. this forum was a huge help already. thanks again!!

5. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    You have a droid. You don't need metro connect.
    If anything, search the marketplace for an application called zedge. That should satisfy all your wallpapers/ringtones itch...
    Zedge is free. And also available at http://t.zedge.net. A nice touch site if you don't want to install the app.

Oh, and you're welcome.

Jodilee123 likes this.
  6. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    zedge and myxer.com are the best for android zedge has an app that is very good it lets u download all their content super fast.

Jodilee123 likes this.
  7. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    lol, right i have a droid. imagine that customer service told me to go to the store and have them reconfigure the phone so my funds were applied. glad i didn't go, thanks for that info. simple (personal) ringtones have been driving me nuts, and i go and waste money on connect, figures. will give that zedge a try. wow, thanks not even 9am, and i already have great helpful info, that i can use, without a trip to metro store.

8. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    It's the magic of community support! :)

Jodilee123 likes this.
  9. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    lol i hate paying for anything anyways just a tip u can also email any ringtone via ur number like this 1234567890@mymetropcs.com if ur with metro but with the android u wont need to do that unless u want to.

Jodilee123 and cruncho1 like this.
  10. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    ok, i had to come right back and tell you guys that both those sites are good. myxer had just what i wanted and it's been downloaded to my cell, and i could not be happier. thanks so much for that info. lol, i can't believe i put money into that connect thingy, and can't use it, had no idea, lol. well, a dopey lesson learned.

thanks again. i'm sure i'll be back with other questions soon!!

11. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    it's so true. it's such a big help. this forum knows way more than any customer service rep does. that's not saying much, i know.

again, big thanks!!

12. MikesTooLz

None

Nov 24, 2010
    Computer Tech
    Miami, Florida
    OK, I can help you out here.

You may want to switch over to GO Launcher EX and Go SMS Pro
    Download both apps in the android market and install them (there free)

Go Launcher EX will make the phones GUI a little more flexible and customizable.
    Go SMS Pro will be used instead of the default messaging app. this app is totaly customizable and you can download different themes.
    When you recieve an SMS message a small popup window will appear and you can ignore,quick reply, delete, etc...

I like being able to delete messages or reply to them without having to launch the messaging app.

Also once you do this make sure you go into the stock messaging app and turn of its notifications. If you leave on the notifications you will receive two notifications for each message. One from messaging app and one from Go SMS Pro.

P.S. dont freak out when you load Go Launcher and all the icons on your home screen are gone. There are no icons because your looking at the Go Launch Home Screens.

Jodilee123 likes this.
  13. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    i can't believe all the helpful info i've gotten today already. i think the most interesting, if i am to understand this right, 4g only works if i'm in a coverage area with 4g? otherwise, i'm using, what, 3g? i am COMPLETELY new to all this. and honestly, i've been connecting to wifi, and i've been pretty satisfied with that. so basically, it can be so much better?? i know nothing of this "rooting" everyone is talking about. but tell me, i am right about the 4g, it won't work unless the coverage is there.

14. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    your right 4g only works where metro's 4g coverage covers if not then you will only have 1x

Jodilee123 likes this.
  15. MikesTooLz

None

Nov 24, 2010
    Computer Tech
    Miami, Florida
    Yeah and the 1x is 2G speeds. So think dial-up (56k Modems).

Jodilee123 likes this.
  16. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    well slightly a lil faster i did a speed test on my 1x and managed to get up to 120kb but yea not that exciting.

Jodilee123 likes this.
  17. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    all good to know. what made me crazy today, besides not being completely armed with the correct info about 4g, was not being connected automatically to anything that is opened in the wifi area. my friend has the huawei ascend, and his connected right onto whatever the place we were in had running. mine did not. it said no wifi connected, and i had to push buttons manually to get me connected, and even then it was spotty. but his worked. i kinda thought it was just "supposed" to find an open line and keep going. so here i sat with a $400 cell, and couldn't even get a good google search going. i was a little frustrated. but again, thanks for the 4g info.

18. MikesTooLz

None

Nov 24, 2010
    Computer Tech
    Miami, Florida
    They may not have it due that for legal reasons. It is illegal to connect to an open access point without permission whether it has encryption or not. But you can download apps for that.

Also im glad we didnt have to deal with Bogo like the LG Optimus M users. That app allways runs in the background scanning for wifi access points. Its a paid service so you have to pay to use it. and when every your near an access point that its able to join it does a beeping sound. I was walking around walmart and every 3 minutes the phone was beeping telling me I could pay them and access wifi here.

19. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    whoops, never even thought of that. so as of now, my phone can get great wifi, sitting 3 feet away from my computer in my home, but as soon as i go elsewhere, where i might actually need it, it's spotty. i'm still positively sure i just don't understand it all anyway, and probably don't have the settings set up right, lol. so i'm trying not to complain, and keep winging it. still going thru all the threads here, and keep finding many things that are helpful. thanks for all the above info!!

20. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    alot of people dont relise that wifi actually uses rf frequency so anything like wireless home phones and mircrowaves actually can disrupt ur wifi signal another thing is depending on how big ur house is u have 2 consider all the walls and electrical wiring that may weaken ur wifi signal best bet is if u need ur wifi that bad on ur phone in ur home is to buy one of those signal booster for ur router ive set some up for some business and churches they work great. also if u have lots of neighbors with wifi in their home their signal can interfere with urs thats why i always suggest customers to change their wireless channel to something else since we use channels 1-11 most channels being used are withing the same on routers like channel 2,6,8,and 11 miketoolz can confirm this since hes also a IT but yea just a helpful tip.

21. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    no, i def don't need a better signal in my house for my phone, i'm saying that's the only place i'm getting really good reception. in fact, just now, i sent 5 different texts to my son's phone sitting right next to me, and it didn't go thru, yet, he tried to text me, and i got his. i'm just not understanding why this is happening periodically to me. sometimes the phone and the wifi i get is really really good, and other times, not so much.

22. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    oh ok sorry misread hmmm that is weird.

23. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    ^not a problem. i think i'm not completely conveying my frustrations anyway correctly. i'm heading over to the mpcs store tomorrow, just to double check a few things. i know this is laughable, bec i know i get more info here than with them, lol. but i figured it wouldn't hurt to mention about the money i put into the metro connect that i didn't need to, had the phone's functions maybe been explained to me in the first place. yup, tomorrow is going to be a waste of time at that store.

24. TRS-80

TRS-80 Android Enthusiast
    None

Perhaps when you return to the forums from your local store, you can relate the humorous (and/or frustrating?) story of your visit there! lol Good luck!

25. Jodilee123

Jodilee123 Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    ^cause you know there is one, right, lol? well, it turns out, according to the mpcs guy, i have to put in an area code to text someone within my area code. can't tell me why, just do it. and i don't necessarily have to do it with all people within my 631 area code, just some...huh?? so how do i know when to do this? he said it has something to do with "older type phones", that's when i need the area code, otherwise it locks my message out. BUT, they can still text me. nothing about this makes sense to me, but, what do i know. like, how do i know who has what year phone, and if my message is getting thru? he also remembered me being in there last week, and my 3 year old forgot her sippy cup, (ok, i forgot it), but he threw it out when i didn't come back for it. hello, friggin text me...don't forget the area code...