• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Basic question about brightness increments

I have a question about the brightness increments. When I connect my bluetooth keyboard to my Android phone (Nexus 5x) it takes only 10 increments to increase the brightness from minimum to maximum. When I use another method (mapping the volume keys to increase/decrease the brightness) it takes 16 increments to increase the brightness from minimum to maximum. I understand there is a key event associated with buttons Brightness Up (key code=221) and Brightness Down (key code=220). Why buttons from different controllers result in different increments?

Thanks for the reply. The goal is to have a key that does the equivalent of "Mute" for brightness. One press of a key and it sets the brightness to minimum, another press and it sets the brightness back to maximum.

I looked in Android key codes but such a code doesn't exist. I thought it can be achieved by sending multiple "Brightness Down/Up" key codes with one stroke. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones