1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Basic widget display quotes from database

Discussion in 'App Inventor' started by TarjMomi, Mar 13, 2013.

1. TarjMomi

TarjMomi New Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Hello there, first time poster! (And recent convert from noob on Corona to noob on Eclipse)

For a project I had to think of an app for a Uni project and then design a basic working prototype to present. I thought a simple idea would be best for a complete Java/XML noob such as myself, so my idea is something similar to the Bathing Cat app, (if you're not aware, is a little cat widget that sits on your home screen and says things to you), but instead my idea is a little cartoon buddha telling you inspirational quotes and phrases by pulling it from a database.

They told me it was simple and should be easy to create, but I'm struggling with how to actually code it. I'm learning the basics though MyBringBack's videos (I can't post links but they're on YouTube). But I'm not sure how to actually create something that will pull the data from a database/table and display it like that. If anyone can tell me or point me in the right directions of what to follow to be able to create it like tutorials or guides, that would help a lot!

- Tarj Momi

Advertisement

2. Avinash Verma

Avinash Verma New Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Hi Tarj
    Replying to your post after two years of it sitting on this forum.

The thing is, I've been looking for exactly the same thing...A widget for android that would display my collection of quotes.

And i've been searching for more than an hour when i found your post. I actually opened an account here just so that I can contact you.

So, did you manage to write the App? If so, would you mind sharing it with me?

Thanks for your help.

CHeers.
    Avi