• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery 100% to 85% overnight?

heycal

Apr 27, 2014
I'm loving a lot of things about this G2 I've had for a week, but it's really fighting me on various fronts. I feel like I'm battling with a huge fish I've got on the line and am strugglingly epicallly to reel him in.

Here's the latest: On at least two nights of experiments, I've noticed my battery has dropped from a fully charged 100% at bedtime to almost 85% or so 7 hours later. There was no activity during those hours -- the phone as in quiet mode, the alarm set.

But I do remember a few nights back the phone still being at 100% the next morning, which was very nice to see. Where'd that lovely sight go?

There are no obvious culprits shown in the battery usage section. First on the list is "cell standby" which accounted for 30% of that use.

What's going on here? This isn't normal, is it?

Do you have Google now activated? That rapes my battery. I thought my battery had degraded, but remembered I had just turned Google now on a while ago. After I turned it off it improved substantially.

Edit: exchanging the battery on this phone doesn't appear to be too much of a hassle even if it's embedded so if my battery does decline I can probably replace it relatively easy

Upvote 0
Do you have Google now activated? That rapes my battery. I thought my battery had degraded, but remembered I had just turned Google now on a while ago. After I turned it off it improved substantially.

I turned that off a few days ago, so I don't think that was it.

In any case, I just had a long talk with a very knowledeable and very nice woman at Verizon tech support. I explained everything that had happened. She was concerned and troubled. She theorized there was some corruption or problem that needed to be addressed through either a factory reset or a brand new unit.

I chose the latter. A new G2 will be arriving by 10am tomorrow morning. Better yet, the clock starts anew on my 14 day trial period. So I will try out the new unit and see how that goes. If there are problems with that one too, I will switch to another phone all together.

Upvote 0
I've had problems from the start. Sometimes it seems all good then all of a sudden boom and the battery just drains.

I've pretty much disabled everything I can although I'd love to get rid of Weather one and a few others but I am an Android white belt.

The less I have running the better. I can't leave GPS on ever. Yet my husband's Note 3 seems fine.

I can't leave data and WiFi on but, again, my husband's Note 3 doesn't seem to struggle.

Upvote 0
I think the note 3 might have a bigger battery, so that's one thing.

Try tapping and h0lding that weather widget, and see if you can swipe up it to remove it from there. Try that with anyone else you don't like too.

Have you checked your battery charts to see how much battery life you are getting, and what is using the most power?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones