1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Battery Apps - which way to go??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by speedracer2001, Sep 14, 2011.

1. speedracer2001

None

Sep 14, 2011
    a/c mechanic, helicopter pilot
    Odessa, FL
    Hello All. I am NEW to these smartphones as my last phone was a simple clamshell dial n' go. I have been reading a LOT of posts regarding a vast array of topics. Battery life seems to be a BIGGIE... It appears people have used "Juice Defender" - "Y 5 Battery Saver " and "Battery Doctor". When I read the descriptions of each they all appear to do the same thing - shut down or turn on WiFi if available, monitor the battery and make other program adjustments as needed. IF this is correct then why are some using all 3 together - wouldn't they have a tendency to 'fight' each other? What is the recommendation of this forum - all three together or just use 1 app? IF one app which one is the preferred one?

On a side note since I have you, "Quick Settings" was also listed as an APP to HAVE. Again, it cycles off WiFi and other settings. How is this different than the above 3 mentioned programs. Is this program also worth installing??

Sorry to ask so many questions but at this point it is a bit confusing (still trying to figure out where the camera button is and how to stop energizing programs when I try to scroll up and down.....)

Thanks for any and all help given..

Advertisement

2. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    I use juice defender myself. I also have quick settings for quick access to all the settings. They both do different things. Juice defender is an automatic app that saves juice without you having to do anything. Quick settings is for doing things manually.

3. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    Someone posted about Green Power a while back and I tried it just to see if it really did anything.

It does, so I kept it.

It isn't a task killer, it handles the radio. Instead of checking email aall the time, I think I have it set to check every hour or so. You can set it up however you want.

Right now I am at 74% battery after 21 hours, which is a *lot* better than it used to be.

Light usage, though.

4. jlhog

jlhog Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    Get Green Power, you will not regret it. It added hours to my usage time

5. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    All those apps do is manage your WiFi,3G,GPS,Etcetera. If you just turn everything off until you need it (this includes auto sync), making sure to turn it off when done with them,then you really won't need a battery app.
    Think about it,why have something on,draining the battery if your not using it.

Petrah and detector19 like this.
  6. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    The biggest power hogs are wi-fi and 3g...going into Airplane mode will dramatically improve battery life as well. Also the further you are away from a cell tower the more power your phone will use to communicate with that cell; you're burning more juice when you have 1 signal bar then when you have 4 signal bars.

7. StanO360

StanO360 Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    Juice Defender helped, Green Power is amazing, doubled (or close anyway) my time.

8. Thorsten

Thorsten Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    Whether Wi-Fi is a power hog also depends on the strength of your Wi-Fi signal. I spent the summer in Europe, where I had Airplane mode permanently on (since there is no VMU service/roaming over there). Using QuickSettings, I also enable Wi-Fi. I had a very strong Wi-Fi signal in several places where I was staying (with the AP often just a few feet away) and I got almost a week out of one battery charge this way (again, Airplane Mode plus Wifi) with moderate Internet use (mostly web and email).

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  9. raynoldsk

raynoldsk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Pug momma
    inside my head
    Yeah, you can turn everything off. And you can put it in airplane mode. And you can do all sorts of things, but with the Green Power, I don't have to think about it and I can still get calls and texts.

You can even do like my husband and turn the phone completely off until you want to use it. His battery can last for weeks!

I am not saying anyone *has* to use it, just that someone had a thread about it, I tried it to see if it worked well, it did, so I kept it.

Isn't that what the OP asked for? :)

10. syav

syav Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    I use the internet a dozen times each day. So I use Juice Defender because it is not practical to turn 3g on and off a dozen times each day and each time I &#969;ant to use the internet. So using Juice Defender is convenient, and actually saves a lot of battery drain.

If u use the internet only once or t&#969;ice each day, &#965; probably &#969;on't need a battery saver app.

11. Annonymous7

Annonymous7 Member
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    I also use Juice Defender. I broke down and paid for the Ultimate Edition, and to be honest, it was a great choice. I highly recommend JuiceDefender. But, like @AndyOpie150 said, (paraphrasing), apps are not needed if you do it manually. And its true. Though, if you do not want, have the time, or patience, to do it that way, check out juice Defender.

I have heard great things about Green Power and am going to try it right now. Think I will test in on the GF's V ;)

Tags: