• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Calibration!

zerocool79346

Android Expert
Apr 22, 2010
*This is just a personal theory and I posted it in another thread as well*

My theory on the vast variation in battery life experiences:

The battery gauge is atrocious on this OS. I turned the phone off and charged it for a while, the indicator that shows charge while off said a little over 25%, turned the phone back on and the gauge said 77%.

For those having terrible battery life please try this.

Charge your phone with it off completely and then turn it back on, I suspect the OS has a terrible problem with reporting inaccurate status. I know it can be hard to find time to do this, but I think you will find a DRASTIC improvement if you do. My phone is registering ~30-50% more than the battery is actually at I'm pretty sure.

How did you come up with those numbers?

From observing the charge when off. It has a little battery gauge that pops up while charging to show rough battery charge when turned off and it showed ~25% or a little more, when I booted the phone back up, the OS showed the battery at 77%. This leads me to believe that the battery stats are not read correctly at all by the OS.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you just posted this in another thread.

3 full charges, then report back :D:D

Android OS has to collect battery stats for accurate reporting, HOWEVER.

Your charging number doesn't match your battery reported number under stats... what was that 20-30% off in your case? Never, ever seen anything like that before. Maybe you own a vw and are jelly.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you just posted this in another thread.

3 full charges, then report back :D:D

Android OS has to collect battery stats for accurate reporting, HOWEVER.

Your charging number doesn't match your battery reported number under stats... what was that 20-30% off in your case? Never, ever seen anything like that before. Maybe you own a vw and are jelly.

Like I said in the other thread, my phone has been "fully charged" way more than 3 times, I've had it since Thursday morning. There were wild variations like this when I used MIUI as well so its definitely possible that the OS just hasn't worked out the kinks when reporting battery yet.

Upvote 0
WTF does owning any car have to do with this?

Waiting for an answer on the version. His name matches one on a vw forum, where that name is active in the electronics forum. I dropped a hint, he can answer if he wants to.

Are you jelly? :D:D

Do you have a % when you connect the charger to the phone while it's off? I don't and I have a stock VZW version, but that should be obvious since I updated my profile with that information.

I hope that nobody takes an arrow to the knee!! :D:D

Upvote 0
Do you have a GSM version?

There is no charge % number when the phone is off, just a battery icon.

LTE. That charge icon is increments of 25% that's how I calculated the rough charge it was telling me. The increments increase as the phone is charged. Not sure if you're trying to troll me or not, but I've never owned a VW and have no reason to be "jelly" of one.

Upvote 0
LTE. That charge icon is increments of 25% that's how I calculated the rough charge it was telling me. The increments increase as the phone is charged. Not sure if you're trying to troll me or not, but I've never owned a VW and have no reason to be "jelly" of one.

There is no number displayed on mine. I got mine on release day, and am running 4.0.2 that was an OTA the day I bought the phone.

Again, this is with the phone off, and when you connect the charger. It's just a battery icon.

Upvote 0
There is no number displayed on mine. I got mine on release day, and am running 4.0.2 that was an OTA the day I bought the phone.

Again, this is with the phone off, and when you connect the charger. It's just a battery icon.

Right. But if you watch it charge it displays the current charge in 25% "blocks" that fill in according to where that charge is at the time. That's how I estimated the 25%. Its not a hard number.

The easiest way to do this would be to root, then charge with the phone off and delete the battery stats in CWR, but I'm not rooted so I don't have that option.

Reactions: syntrix
Upvote 0
Gotcha, you are comparing the graphic while the phone is off to the OS reporting of the battery when up and running!

I wouldn't rely on that icon to tell you the true state of your battery, but I can see that your "spread" is off. I'm not so sure this affects "OS calibration to the battery" or much else. Note I did not say "battery calibration" like you did.

Entirely different and distinct things. I'm tracking with you now, but not so sure I really care since my phone is on 24 hours each day.

Upvote 0
i am pretty happy with my battery now that i am getting over the "playing" stage with the phone and using it how i normally do. i played a little but not much. but so far even when playing with it i am ok with the results. now i didn't sit down and play angry birds for an hour today but 9hrs and still at 56% is ok by me. my incredible would be in the 30% range by now with the same usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2011-12-18-18small.png
    Screenshot_2011-12-18-18small.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
i am pretty happy with my battery now that i am getting over the "playing" stage with the phone and using it how i normally do. i played a little but not much. but so far even when playing with it i am ok with the results. now i didn't sit down and play angry birds for an hour today but 9hrs and still at 56% is ok by me. my incredible would be in the 30% range by now with the same usage.

I would kill for 9 hours and 50% battery.. im coming uo on two hours and 55%

Upvote 0
The only part that annoys me about Android and battery is why each new OS version comes with no battery % option NATIVE in the status bar. Apple added it in 3.0 on the 3GS in like 2009.

My battery life has been fine, but I always use things like solid black backgrounds and don't have crap running just to run unless I am using it. I have about as much stuff running as an iPhone would.

Upvote 0
The only part that annoys me about Android and battery is why each new OS version comes with no battery % option NATIVE in the status bar. Apple added it in 3.0 on the 3GS in like 2009.

My battery life has been fine, but I always use things like solid black backgrounds and don't have crap running just to run unless I am using it. I have about as much stuff running as an iPhone would.

And you have a device now that doesn't crash, the alarm clock works, and you get about 4x the battery life.

I keep EVERYTHING running and have a stellar experience with battery life with this phone. I don't have to be tethered to chargers like my ifriends, and I don't need special software to make it `just work`. LOL

Upvote 0
I would kill for 9 hours and 50% battery.. im coming uo on two hours and 55%

i am not doing anything unusal. i know it sucks but if i were you i would honestly factory reset the phone, don't install all your apps. see if after the reset it still is draining like that. if it isn't then you know it is one of your apps so you can install a few here and there and if it does come back you will have a pretty good idea of what the issue is.

if a factory reset with no apps installed still drains like that you may not have a choice but to see if verizon will exchange it, but if were to gamble i would say a reset will fix it..

out of total curiousity did you install a bunch of apps before the 4.0.2 update came down and installed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones