• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Charging Myths

You've tried debunking it, but now try explaining it. I don't know how or why. Like I said for all I know I've had 3 crappy batteries and one good one. Who knows. What I know is, what I said is the truth. It is the truth for many people on here. Why do you think there is no consensus about battery life and charging here yet. Everyone's experience is different. I've had 4 batteries, 3 I've treated one way, one I've treated another and gotten 2 totally different experiences from. Feel free to believe what you want, I know what's working for me now and thought it was pertinent to let others know my findings as well.

BTW, it may only take a minute to drain enough for 20 minutes of recharging but like I said, I've done it the INSTANT it turns green. Not once, NUMEROUS times. I've done it where you turn the phone off and on leaving the phone plugged in the entire time as well. Regardless of how you do it, or how soon you do it (in my case immediately) it is red after it is green.

complete placebo effect... usage is impossible to measure empirically. Radio strength alone as too much affect on battery life.

Although I don't know if its a issue for Li-ion batteries, there could be a fairly large difference in charge capacity of the old NiCads. When I did RC racing people spent large amounts of time matching cells of like properties.

I would MUCH more likely believe you had 3 decent batteries and one good one or 3 bad batteries and a good one then your charging method had anything to do with it.

FYI- Every scientific test I've seen run states the further you discharge a Li-ion battery before recharging it, faster you reduce its capacity and life.

Upvote 0
I just ordered a wall charger and a 2150 battery for my Incredible...

Is it only dangerous to use this for it's potential to overcharge? I'd like to be able to use it, and I can have it at my desk at work so that I can take the battery off as soon as the charge is complete. Would this be a safe way to use the device?

EDIT: It's not a phone charger, it is a battery dock charger.

Upvote 0
The Inc's calibrations don't let it get low enough to hurt Li-Ion/Polymer chemistry. No need to even worry about it. Just use your phone.

No. That is just reclaiming battery power used by the phone since it reached full and went back to battery power (despite still being plugged in). It is not overcharging it.

Not 100% true about bump charging....I've been testing this concept of bump charging out so I decided to take some readings with a multi meter during the charging process. My findings are pretty telling...
If you charge your phone while powered on, the battery will charge to 4 volts...it will not reach the full 4.2 volts...i took my readings as soon as the phone hit green, powered it down, took the battery out, took the reading.....i then proceeded to bump charge the phone...powered off...when it hit green again, i took another reading...4.15...so bump charging the battery does indeed charge the battery more than just regular charging with the power on. I did my testing with 2 separate batteries, and the results were consistent. I have not taken any readings after charging the phone while the phone was powered down, I will tomorrow and see if that charges fully...

Upvote 0
So did the Macbook Pro batteries. Protection built into lithium ion batteries isn't intended for everyday use - it exists as a last ditch emergency effort to prevent an explosion. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Either way, it generally bricks the battery when it kicks in.
I can tell you, I once overloaded a a battery in a LG Dare. 2 things happend, it wouldn't hold a charge and you could physically see that the center of the battery on both sides bowed out slightly. I was at a Verizon store when the CSR showed me. then she said, "see" as she placed the battery flat down on the counter and spun it, and it spun like a top because the center's bowed out. :eek:

FWIW

Upvote 0
-Played the crap out of Angry Birds and killed the battery
-charged for 20~30 minutes on the home charger, unplugged
-charged for 15 minutes on the car charger, unplugged
-charged for 5 minutes on the car charger, unplugged
-charged for 10 minutes on the car charger, unplugged
-charging now on the home charger...probably pull it soon

I used the thing the whole time. If you couldn't use it while charging, GPS on long trips would never happen. A battery's $20 bucks. I don't really care...would like it to be larger though.

Upvote 0
hi there wonderful informative post.. thanks .. one question... can one use a nokia charger with 1200mA output for an htc (desire Hd), whose adapter/charger has output of 1000ma

First off, I just want to let you know that you've posted in the Droid Incredible section. You'll probably better off asking questions in the Desire HD section.

As long as it's rated for 5V you should be safe. The phone will only draw upto 1000ma. Also be careful that the plugs are actually the same. The only "microusb" chargers I know of that go above 1000mA are physically different from the standard plug.

Reactions: baboog
Upvote 0
Hi,

Regarding your post about battery charging myths - I'm planning to get a Samsung Galaxy Note so I copied user manual off the web and this is stated:

4 Insert the battery.
5 Replace the back cover.
Charge the battery
Before using the device for the first time, you must charge the
battery.
You can charge the device with a travel adapter or by
connecting the device to a PC with a USB cable.
Use only Samsung-approved chargers and cables.
Unapproved chargers or cables can cause batteries to
explode or damage your device.

So, what I'm worried about is the '' Before using the device for the first time, you must charge the
battery.''

Because the official distributer in my country does not allow to pay and take the cell out of the store if they don't turn it on first and check is it working properly. And sure as hell they wont wait until it charges for the first time, being busy and overcrowded and all.
So what I need to know, for sure, for the peace of my mind ( It's an expensive toy, is it not? ) is - Will using the phone first and than charging it, in ANY WAY going to harm the battery, because it's a initial charge skipped etc. ??

Thank you in advance for your response. Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones