• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery charging pretty slow, normal?

SFBayArea

Android Enthusiast
May 4, 2010
Just got LG G5 from TMobile few days ago. Switched from the Nexus 5X (which is essentially another LG phone). My Nexus 5x was charging 40-50% in 15-20 min. G5 is taking a long time to charge - basically it takes same amount of time to charge G5 as my wife's G3 on old usb type charger (on the USB B connection).
Is this normal? What do people see timewise with their G5s? How long does it take your G5 to charge from low 10-15% to 50% and to 100%?

Thank you

Looking back through my battery stats (using Battery Monitor Widget app), during the course of the past few nights, generally it will charge from about 30% to 100% in about 2 hours..give or take.
Then another night it went from 37% to 100% in about an hour.
Yet another night it went from 50% to 100% in an hour.

I should post some screenshots because now that I'm looking at the data, it seems to vary as far as time vs. mA...hmmmm...

Are you using the included wall charger?

Reactions: Maine Coon
Upvote 0
I was kind of thinking the same thing. I didn't know if I was doing something wrong. I've never had fast charge before but it does seem to be taking too long.

I charge each night so it doesn't really matter but there will come a time when I want the Fast charge to work like it should. I was thinking maybe it was a setting or something I missed? But not if your saying the basic same thing

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
If I would compare the G5 charge to my wife's G4 I'd say G5 charging slightly faster, but only slightly.

As I mentioned I've switched from Nexus 5X which was one of the first phones to have new C connection fast charger. My Nexus charges at least twice faster (if not more) then G5. I can literally put my Nexus 5x on a charge for 15 min and I will gain 30-40% of battery in that time. 15 min on G5 charging will get me 8-10% of battery gain.

I wonder why? Do I have a lemon phone or do all G5s kind of charging slow even though they are on a fastest charging system available?

Upvote 0
If I would compare the G5 charge to my wife's G4 I'd say G5 charging slightly faster, but only slightly.

As I mentioned I've switched from Nexus 5X which was one of the first phones to have new C connection fast charger. My Nexus charges at least twice faster (if not more) then G5. I can literally put my Nexus 5x on a charge for 15 min and I will gain 30-40% of battery in that time. 15 min on G5 charging will get me 8-10% of battery gain.

I wonder why? Do I have a lemon phone or do all G5s kind of charging slow even though they are on a fastest charging system available?
Let me try comparing apples to apples a minute...are you using the charger that came with the device? The one that goes into the wall?
If so, I'll try the same thing for 15 minutes and see what kind of gain I get. :)

Edit: some interesting results here using the app I am using:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/how-to/g5-charging-data-using-qc2-0-t3358220

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Let me try comparing apples to apples a minute...are you using the charger that came with the device? The one that goes into the wall?
If so, I'll try the same thing for 15 minutes and see what kind of gain I get. :)

Edit: some interesting results here using the app I am using:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/how-to/g5-charging-data-using-qc2-0-t3358220

How'd it go?
Just as this topic came up,I also began seeing what appeared to be inconsistent charging rates.
Even factoring in the slowdown as the battery approaches the 2/3 full mark or so,charging rates seem to be inconsistent.
I'm using the Samsung quick charge adapter & the OEM LG G5 Cable.
If need be for a more accurate comparison,I'll switch to the G5 adapter & top-off in the morning while I'm getting ready for work & post the start-stop times & %'s.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Oh, forgot about this thread lol....
Anyway, it seems like more often than not, no matter how low my battery has gotten before I charge it, it will start out with about 730ma of charging and go down from there.
Rarely, and I mean rarely, have I seen it start out at 3000ma (3 amp)

No matter if I use the stock charger, or the one from Tronsmart that claims 3 amp.
Not sure what to think, but I keep monitoring the link at XDA to see what others are saying :)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones