• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery charging questions...

Travisimo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
USA
I have the Bionic with the standard battery and an extended battery. What are my options for charging the batteries outside of the phone? I want to charge one while using the other. Specifically, is there a charger that will charge the extended battery when it is not in the phone? I saw that there is a "battery dock" that will charge the phone itself and another battery at the same time, but I didn't know if that would work with the extended battery outside of the phone? Any other options?

I have the Bionic with the standard battery and an extended battery. What are my options for charging the batteries outside of the phone? I want to charge one while using the other. Specifically, is there a charger that will charge the extended battery when it is not in the phone? I saw that there is a "battery dock" that will charge the phone itself and another battery at the same time, but I didn't know if that would work with the extended battery outside of the phone? Any other options?

I spent some time looking for this today, and the closest I came to it was one that Amazon sells that comes with a battery. I don't need yet another battery (I bought two extendeds and I also have the original one that came with the phone) and I'm not even sure if that Amazon charger is large enough to hold the extended battery. Hopefully, someone will come out with something that accomplishes this for the extended battery.

Upvote 0
The battery dock has a (very) short pass-through cable that can be used to charge the battery in the phone, in addition to the battery in the dock itself. The extended battery does fit in the battery dock.

But if you're charging both the battery in the phone and the battery in the dock at the same time, I suspect charging will take longer since the charger will have limited output.

Upvote 0
The battery dock has a (very) short pass-through cable that can be used to charge the battery in the phone, in addition to the battery in the dock itself. The extended battery does fit in the battery dock.

But if you're charging both the battery in the phone and the battery in the dock at the same time, I suspect charging will take longer since the charger will have limited output.

Thanks! I think most of the time I would just charge one battery in the dock while I'm using the phone, and then swap them out when the battery in my phone dies. I figure since the extended battery is 50% right now, I might just get another extended battery and then swap them out instead of waiting the grueling 4+ hours for it to charge in the phone itself while it is still on.

The only place I've seen the battery dock for sale is on Amazon (through a 3rd party). I don't see it on Verizon's website or even Motorola's. Does anyone know if this is for sale anywhere else?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones