• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery charging questions.

cannon11

Aug 22, 2012
Wisconsin
I've never owned a smartphone before, so i'm just wondering.
When you first get a phone, before you start using it, are you supposed to charge it fully before you start using it for the first time? Are you supposed to drain it completely for the first few times or every so often?
And Should you take it off the charger when it's done during everyday use or is it better just to leave it sit there, for example, while i'm sleeping.
I just want to maximize my battery from the start, Don't want to screw it up.

The documentation that comes with the phone should tell you what to do. Follow those instructions and you'll be OK.

As a general rule all secondary (a.k.a. rechargeable) cells should be completely charged before the first use. If your phone came without instructions, you should do this by default. That means waiting 24 hours before you get to use your phone, but it will help in the long run.

As a general rule, the lithium cells/batteries that are used in most smart phones should NOT be discharged completely EVER. Only old-fashioned NiCd cells require a full discharge to prevent memory effect. If you ever run your phone battery down to the last, make sure you recharge it as soon as possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones