• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Battery] Complaints and Problems

Trident

Android Expert
Jan 20, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
This thread along with the other is being created for the purpose of merging all battery threads into three. It will keep the forum clean and will also serve as a one stop information collective.

This particular [Battery] thread is for Complaints and Problems with your battery life. Any problems your having and perhaps what you think causes it should be posted here to help other members figure out what is causing it. Remember not everyone has the same usage pattern and some units may be defective so do not attack someone if they are complaining about battery life.

I'm thinking about getting this phone for a job I'm starting in New York City in three weeks, but I'm not sure if my usage plans will allow me to get through the day without the battery dying.

On Tuesday I went to my local Verizon store and demoed the phone, and it was everything I hoped for. But I'm still on the fence about getting it since I've heard bad things about the battery.

Here is what my day schedule would look like...would the stock battery last it out? Also I don't want to constantly keep turning GPS/internet on and off to squeeze out extra minutes. I'm also strapped for cash so the Seidio 1750mah isn't that much of an option right now.

Morning/Afternoon
- 1.5 hour commute each way, 3 hours total.

Heavy use: Internet radio, web browsing, games, occasional GPS

Daytime - 8 hour shift.

Light/moderate use: Some web browsing, texting, email, calling, and GPS

Will it last?

Thank you :)

Upvote 0
Honestly, it won't last..but IF you use the ATK to kill the apps throughout the day it'll go a lot farther and also, you should def use the power control widget and turn off the wifi/bluetooth/ satellite location/auto sync & I wouldn't turn the brightness more than halfway up...I have a car charger and a home charger, I charge my incredible when I'm not using it...hope this helps. I suggest buying an extra battery so you can switch it out when the 1st 1 dies. ***The internet radio will kill it all by itself if you listen for 3 hours, even with the screen asleep.

Upvote 0
I bought this battery and am quite pleased ($16.99 + Free Shipping):
Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2 Pro2 Genuine OEM Lithium Ion Standard Battery

I have gotten used to having an extra battery on-hand with a PDA phone. At $16.99 + a cheap external charger, you should be good...

External Chargers:
I got this McGyver special - UNIVERSAL Universal Battery Charger, FREE Shipping, UNIVERSAL PHONE Universal Battery Charger
and some mini USB to Micro USB adapters - GOOGLE Mini USB (Female, 5-pin) to Micro USB (Male) Charging Adapter, FREE Shipping, GOOGLE PHONE Mini USB (Female, 5-pin) to Micro USB (Male) Charging Adapter so I could use my cables and chargers from my Touch Pro with free shipping...

Upvote 0
Treat your battery right from the start and it will easily last. I don't use any of these task killers, never turn off the mobile network, and I get anywhere from 24 to 30 hours of battery life per charge. I use the phone throughout the day for web, phone, texting (a lot), some apps, etc. Obviously using it for hours on end and/or watching videos will not yield the same results, but with moderate use, you'll easily be fine.

Upvote 0
I have had ZERO issues getting 12-15 hours of battery with 3G on all the time, live wallpapers on all the time, and no task killers, and moderate use.

Either my definition of "moderate" is completely different than everyone else's (doubtful), or a lot of people are lying (doubtful), or there are vastly different incarnations of the Incredible out there (doubtful), or there is an issue at play that just hasn't been pinpointed yet.

My suggestion... spend 30 days deciding for yourself.

Upvote 0
If I get the phone, I'm planning to do a bunch of tricks at the start to optimize its performance, but not every day.

Also I can't see why I would need WiFi or Bluetooth on, ever.

For GPS, if you turn it off and load up a restaurant locator or something like that, will it turn it back on automatically? I only plan to use the GPS to just quickly check my location on my commute, or get quick directions to something in the city. But other than that I don't care if it's on.

Upvote 0
If you use a car charger while listening to Internet Radio and using GPS during your commute, you should be fine getting 8 hours during your work day. Otherwise I seriously doubt it. I really love this phone, but battery life is an issue with the stock 1300 unit. I'm on day 3 with mine and got 10 hours out of mine today with very light usage. I also am taking a stand against turning features off on principal. I did make one or two changes which seemed to have helped today, but there's no doubt I'll be buying an extended battery...first time ever for me. Just waiting to see what the deal with the OEM 2150 is.

Upvote 0
If I get the phone, I'm planning to do a bunch of tricks at the start to optimize its performance, but not every day.

For GPS, if you turn it off and load up a restaurant locator or something like that, will it turn it back on automatically? I only plan to use the GPS to just quickly check my location on my commute, or get quick directions to something in the city. But other than that I don't care if it's on.
GPS only comes on when an app needs it. Mine is "on" (enabled) at all times.

Upvote 0
If you use a car charger while listening to Internet Radio and using GPS during your commute, you should be fine getting 8 hours during your work day. Otherwise I seriously doubt it. I really love this phone, but battery life is an issue with the stock 1300 unit. I'm on day 3 with mine and got 10 hours out of mine today with very light usage. I also am taking a stand against turning features off on principal. I did make one or two changes which seemed to have helped today, but there's no doubt I'll be buying an extended battery...first time ever for me. Just waiting to see what the deal with the OEM 2150 is.
I'll be commuting via train, so a car charger is not an option.

I plan to get a car charger anyway when I go back to school, so I could keep the phone charged until I get to the train station.

I just don't want it to die before I hop back on the train home, in case there are any emergencies or my ride can't pick me up and I can't contact them because the phone is dead.

Upvote 0
I think it depends. There seems to be a software glitch that is preventing some Incs from sleeping. Mine did it the first few days and I had terrible battery life (would NOT have survived your day). However, for some reason, this glitch stopped occurring for me (maybe the ota?) and I have had similar days to yours, with everything on, and my inc makes it through. And fir some strange reason my battery life actually improved when I started leaving the gps on constantly. Make sense? Not at all, but there seems to be some bugs haunting the power management of this phone. If you can luck out with a combination that doesn't glitch the power management it, I think you can make it through your day. I would advise charging in your car, however.

Upvote 0
somedays you will and some days you might not. You sue will vary everyday and from the results i am seeing on the stock battery you will be borderline. if you have a strong data signal then internet radio will not kill the battery, but if you hit a spot where its not strong the radio has to use more juice to pull the data down.

To be safe i would get the 1750 ext battery and i think if you do that you should be fine everyday.

Also using WIFI whenever you can, it uses less power than the CDMA 4g does

Upvote 0
Get the free 3G Watchdog app. It shows a little 3G icon in the notification bar when your 3G is being activated. (It does other cool stuff too like keep track of your total 3G usage) Of course when you're surfing the net you'll see the icon there, but if you still see it and you're not on the net, use your free Advanced Task Killer to kill some apps. This should help with battery life I think.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I usually have GPS "off" except the few times I've used the navigation. Apps that want to locate me still can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones