1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General battery consumption

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bigjim71, Jun 7, 2011.

1. bigjim71

bigjim71 Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Hi all new to the world of android and so far really like it, having come from iphone4. Im judt a bit concerned about the battery life on the infuse msybe its just me or whst i dont know. It seems that it does drain a bit fast , at least compared to the iphone. I was just eading the forums for about 1-1.5 hrs. and went down about 25%. I have nothing else running wifi &gps off. The other thing is when i take off charger in am by the time i walk to my kitchen it goes down2% in two min. then on my ridw to work it will go down another 5-7% in1.5 hrs just idle. Does any one feel this is acceptable or is it just too much. Like i said i switched from iphone4 and that had agret battery so it hard to get a good feel for this one. Thanks alot.

Advertisement

2. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    Like you, I've also moved from the iPhone world (3G) to the Infuse and don't regret it a minute.

As for your battery use, it does seem something is really eating up your power. I charge my phone overnight and get through the day just fine. I have wifi and bluetooth on as well as 3 email accounts. I don't use the phone much at all, but those things drain the battery down to about 40% in a day's use, whether standing by or with a few calls.

3. strodda

strodda Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Male
    get an app called systempanel. you can do a live monitor of all the processes running on your phone. with normal use, check it after 2hrs and you can see what using the cpu. you might have crap running in the background you dont need or it could just be a power hungry 4.5" screen.

with my specific case, it helped me a lot. i had installed screenshotit and set it to take a screen shot with a hard shake of the phone. the issue was that it was running 24/7. even when the phone was sleeping, the app remained active and continued to communicate with the accelerometer. i turned it off, and havent had a problem since. although since running systempanel takes such little usage, i leave it running all the time.

4. phillyseason22

None

Jun 8, 2011
    I actually have the same exact problem with the battery man. today i was at work having the phone at 97%. i work 5 hours and i barely took it out to text bak to a few people and had the brightness at 0%. when i got out the battery was at 58%. WTF? let me know if you find anything that helps this problem because i love this phone and this is the only bad thing so far. and i also had the iphone and the iphone battery was amazing compared to this.:mad:

5. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    I installed JuiceDefender Beta a couple of days ago and am very impressed that it is saving my battery power well. I've had the phone unplugged for over 14 hours and the battery reads 54%. I played music to and from work over bluetooth, checked twitter and did other minor things.

6. Timmmeh

Timmmeh Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Satellite Beach, FL
    Make sure you use your task manager. Everytime you open a application it leaves it open until you force close it. You can download free ones on the market or use the one you already have. I keep my tasks empty except for what i'm using at that moment and get through all day with ease.

Make sure your automatic brightness is shut off. I keep my brightness at 20-30%. Adjust the light as you need it and it will save you more. If you're at work and don't really need your phone set it all the way down bc when ppl text you or call you when the phone turns on it still uses more battery if your brightness is up.

I've been using iphone since it came o0ut and i'm in love with this phone. Is this battery as good as the iphone? no not really, but it's not that bad with good management :)

7. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    I liked JuiceDefender so much that I went ahead and bought the Plus version. I bought it at the Amazon Android app market (about a dollar cheaper than at the Android Market).

8. MBailey501

MBailey501 Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Yes, the others make a great point that I also discovered.

You may not think so but many apps can still be running in the background. Use one of many app killers or use Task manager which is an app that i believe comes with the Infuse.

Shut off both Data Network and WiFi when not in use.

Live wallpapers suck power even when not displaying. Use a static wallpaper.

Screen brightness when set at max sucks power. Use auto brightness.

The biggest thing that helps..........Let your battery drain down to absolutely NOTHING. Then recharge. Do this two or three times and you will notice great improvement.

Hope this helps!

9. Canesfan

Canesfan Android Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    the Desert
    Why do you think that helps? Unlike the old-school Ni-cad batteries which had memory, the lithium ion batteries do not.

10. jsward12

jsward12 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Massachusetts
    Strange, everytime it seems I unplug my phone from the charger the thing stays running at 100%. Anyone else have this issue?

11. togethersjg

togethersjg Guest
    None

12. Canesfan

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    the Desert
    I downloaded and used JuiceDefender for almost a week. After doing so I noticed no improvement in battery life, even some decrease due to it running almost constantly. My conclusion was that it didn't work for me so I deleted it :(.

13. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    Canesfan,

Just this morning I checked my battery usage. JuiceDefender Plus showed I had nearly doubled the battery life. I can see that clearly. Last night, after having the phone off power for nearly 15 hours, the battery was still showing 75%. I'm not a heavy phone user, but I do check Twitter, email and also play music via Bluetooth. With JuiceDefender Plus I don't even bother to turn wifi, Bluetooth or GPS off. It works for me.

14. Canesfan

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    the Desert

Yeah, I really wish it worked for me too, just the opposite unfortunately.