• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Cover - new "falling off" issue

TivoTron

Dec 26, 2009
I'm onto my 2nd Droid. The first one had the same battery cover issue as everyone appears to be talking about...very loose, comes off in your pocket, etc.

Now the new one has an entirely different battery cover issue...one of the door prongs doesn't appear to "catch" on one of the holes on the back (top right hole, closest to the USB connector). The net result is that the door stays on, but this corner of the battery cover sticks out/up.

Anyone have the same issue? Fixes?

Thanks.

search for the old threads on this, there is a way to properly tweak the door.

skunkpbguy --- appreciate the note, thank you. Unfortunately, my searches (which I did perform before I posted, let me add) have only yielded fixes for the loose battery door issue, not for this issue I'm having now, where one of the corners of the battery door won't latch. Can you point me somewhere please? (when you have a free moment)

Many thanks.

Upvote 0
My cover is the new-improved style and exhibits this loose corner problem. Like the above post says, I simply tweaked the offending tab slightly (as well as adding a slight bow to the entire cover) and now it fits tight and flush. Just takes a bit of trial and error.

cggorman --- well, I'm at least glad that I'm not the ONLY one with this problem!

RE: The pliers-to-prong fix --- I don't fully understand what is being suggested here/what you did. Are you saying that you pushed the prong down? I'm not worried about hurting the device, I'm more worried that this wouldn't fix the problem, which is that the prong doesn't seem to catch in the hole...pushing it down would only seem to make the prong less long, and hence LESS likely to catch? What am I missing here?

Attached are two pics of the situation (2 apologies for the pictures --- WAY too big, but I couldn't get them resized and the PQ is terrible since they were taken with my terrible work Blackberry)

Cover not catching:
droidcover.jpg

Prong - what to do?
droidcoverprong.jpg

Upvote 0
No problem. Here:

(took these with my droid. (who says the camera is junk?))

I made two tweaks. both are subtle. See arrows. Combined, the result is an almost-perfectly flush and tight-fitting cover.
2010-04-27_13.06.47.jpg

A result of the tab tweak is a slight inward bending of the tab (again, it's subtle. I drew in those exaggerated lines to point out what to look for with the tabs.). This is fine...just don't over-do it.
2010-04-27_13.07.22.jpg

Would be a good idea to put a piece of electrical tape or something on the outside surface of the cover before going at it with pliers...just to protect the finish... Remove when tweaking is done, of course.

Upvote 0
TO ALL WITH BATTERY COVERS NOT CLOSING RIGHT: i've spent ALOT of money and time on this subject......i even broke out a micrometer/calipers to support my theory..... the problem is that even the best batteries SWELL just a smidge when charging and never fully return to original dimensions....droid has so cleverly utilized every square friggin' inch, there's no room for a hair!...swelling is more dramatic with a wall charger, and less so with a USB and computer.....a trickle charge is better with USB, i've found...less swelling and longer user times.....do your own research if you don't believe me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones