• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery covers for Samsung Galaxy S and Vibrant

Are there third party battery covers for the Samsung Galaxy S? And will they work for the Vibrant since they look so similar? What I mean by battery cover is the piece of plastic you remove to get to the battery and sim card, maybe also called the backplate. Because all the accessories I see on eBay are just covers for the cover itself. In video reviews, the vibrant has two battery covers that are different. I was thinking of something along those lines so I can swap up battery covers if I get bored of one.

I guess it's just easier to make cases rather than the actual shell of the phone. I still see shells for older versions of blackberries, PSPs, NDS, Nokia, etc. But nothing for any of the Android phones. Shells are usually meant for repairings rather than aesthetics, so they might still turn up in the future when people start breaking their phones...

Upvote 0
Found it:
http://cgi.ebay.it/Original-Battery-Cover-For-Samsung-i9000-Galaxy-S-/220670215174?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3360f84406

Thanks for the link. Usually very careful with my phones, but a few days ago I was replacing the battery & the cover fell from the table to the floor, so the dog decided to play with it. After a good clean it still fits onto the phone but has a few teeth marks on it ( the dog did'nt come near me for a couple of days after ). Ordered a cover from that link, won't be genuine but the Chinese can make some great copies. Will update when I receive it, probably a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0
I am thinking about doing a light sand then painting the extra backplate that came with my Samsung Vibrant. I have seen some done on youtube in white and I must say it looks really nice. I have done some custom painting jobs on PC towers and with some of these new spray paints you dont even have to sand let alone clean it.. But I want the paint to stay and look good.. For right now I am using a jelly case, and I really like the added grip but it makes the phone a bit harder to get in and out of your pocket if they made a rubber coated backplate that would be really nice imo. I am sure we will start seeing stuff like this down the line since the Vibrant is still selling like crazy and really is the best smart phone (along with the other Galaxy S models) you can get right now.. I just like the Vibrant due to the feel, it has a really nice feel and I love how light it is.. ok I gotta get back on topic, lol.. anyway it would be nice to see a graphite and some rubberized areas on it just for added grip. I really dont see them coming out with metal type backplate but I think that would be nice too.. Main thing I guess I am looking for is a nice white factory backplate, if I dont see one soon I guess I will have to do a little work on it myself and I was also thinking if I did use (I cant think of the name of the paint) but it has a grip type feel to it and you can even see the texture if you look close but with a nice clear coat on it to make it nice and shiny that might work.. if I do get around to it, I will post some pics..

Upvote 0
would be nice if they made a case where you remove the battery door and replace it with the case.. then you'd have a case that's thinner and protects everything but the screen.

well imho most cases like the jelly case that I use for my Vibrant protects the screen example, if I dropped the phone on anything flat the screen will not be touched.. it would have to be dropped on a rocky road or dirt road with something sticking up to touch the screen and really even without the case there is that bezel that goes around it and if you the vibrant flat on a table the screen will not be touched. That is pretty much why (again) "imho" the Samsung Vibrant is the best out of the 4 and as I always say I love how light it is yet it has such a solid feel and getting to the battery and SD card is so easy with the way you just pop off the back plate and pop it back on and it seems to be really thin yet is really pops on there, I think there are 5 or 6 levers holding it on.. ok back to the topic. after reading some of the other posts a metel back plate does kinda sound neat and you could have etchings on it for added grip. There are some people that could make a lot of money off of this selling custom backplates just for the vibrant since it is the most sold model due to it being the baseline version of the Galaxy S reason I say that is the i9000 uses the same back plate as the Vibrant and really is the same phone besides the front facing cam and middle home key. please correct me if im wrong but I will check up on it some more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones